Which one to use?

Mac

TVWBB Guru
I have both a SJS and a SJG. My question is which would better to use in a mini WSM? Pros and cons of each will be appreciated. Thanks

Mac, I guess this one has been debated for quite some time. When I built mine, (last week) I went with the SJG. After reading about the trouble with ash build up over the vents, I decided to go with the gold. I have read where after a few simple mods, the SJS worked really well. I read that what makes the gold an inferior grill, (compared to the silver) makes it the perfect grill for this use.
You really have the best of both worlds, the steamer pot fits perfectly on both (SJG, SJS)bases. Try them both and see which one works best for you.
I can tell you this, for about $35 you can build yourself a great little smoker that is a blast to build and use!!
Good luck, and keep us posted.
Tim
mini-
wsmsmile8gm.gif

my next smoke will be done on my gold. i will then know for sure. my "can" fix for the silver sure fixes the ash problem though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i will then know for sure. my "can" fix for the silver sure fixes the ash problem though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
????? George, can you post some pics of the "can" fix. I'm don't know what that is unless it's just making empty beer cans out of full ones.
icon_biggrin.gif

George,

Would love to see the can mod. And I am really interested in your take SJG vs the can mod...

Keep us posted.

Jay

When I built mine, (I ordered my SJG from Amazon), I built another for my bro-in-law, buying him a SJS from Lowes. I knew the grill would also be used simply as a grill, So I felt the SJS was the way to go for him. Having read about the can solution, We decided to 'make' our own can. We took the center cut (out of thr bottom cut out of the steamer pot) and traced a 7" circle and cut it out. We then cut 3/4" slits in the side of the circle about every 1.5 inches. This created flanges that we then folded over to create a 3/4" deep "bowl" or "can". Wethen drilled several holes to allow for air to pass through and then placed the can over the vents. Stupid me, I didn't take any pics and he lives in SC. I will ask him to send me a pic and try to post it.
I just put a fresh coat of paint on my mini, here are a couple of pics...Man I love this little thing!!
Pre-paint
100_0072.jpg

really pleased how it turned out.
icon_biggrin.gif

100_0093.jpg

A pic of the inside, 2 cooking grates, I'm using the center cut out as my difuser.(Thats it foiled in the bottom)
100_0095.jpg

Did I mention how much I love this little thing?
Tim
mini-
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back