Cornbread, whats the hype?

Dennis Lundin

TVWBB Fan
Hi all!
I always heard about cornbread and in every american movie mama is making cornbread. So today I gave it a try. Is it not more a cake then a bread? Or have I not found the right recipe?

Can someone guide me?
icon_smile.gif

As in all things, it's what you grew up with, like scrapple in Pennsylvania. Nothing better than hot buttered cornbread and some chili on a cold day.

Well it's not like a loaf of bread but it's fantastic tasting! Did you make it with anything or you just had it solo?

Well I had it with some potatosallad and pork. But it was real sweet in taste. I was hoping for it to have more corntaste. But that might be because of the recipe.
It had butter, sugar, cornflow, ordinary flow, salt, eggs, bakingpowder, sour cream.

Looked like this.
icon_smile.gif

20110531-221712.jpg

20110531-221725.jpg

Dennis, when i do have cornbread, i smother it with mayo and hot sauce just to tick off the southern folk
icon_biggrin.gif
and the in-house cornbread maker here.
Yeah, i could take it or leave it.

Where I come from...cornbread must have buttermilk and no sugar
Indeed! (or at least very little sugar) and the cast iron pan it cooks in has been amply anointed with bacon fat and the batter sizzles when its poured in. Also, no corn "flour"... combination of fine and med ground corn meal...

It sounds like your recipe had more sugar than you (and I) prefer. I usually forego the sugar in favor of a tablespoon or so of honey. If you want more corn flavor, you can grill or roast a couple ears, gut the kernels off and fold them into the batter. I also add some finely diced hot chiles (usually serrano).

Yeah, adding whole corn kernels and the "milk" you can squeeze or strip out of a cob of corn will go a long way to making your corn bread taste more like corn and less like dessert.

I’m not from the south but my parents and grandparents are from Mississippi, Arkansas and South Carolina respectively.

What you have there sir is “breakfast” cornbread. I eat it with nothing but butter and a glass of whole “sweet” milk. As per my dearly departed grandmother on my father’s side, the proper way to eat it is to crumble it in a bowl with buttermilk, add a drizzle of Alaga syrup and a cup of STRONG black coffee.

“Dinner” cornebread is a en entirely different beast. As listed above, proper dinner cornbread is only cornmeal, eggs, buttermilk, baking powder, bacon drippings/lard and salt, no SUGAR, no FLOUR…..and if must be made in a cast iron skillet with liberally covered with yet more bacon drippings/lard. My 97-year old grandmother on my mother’s side can make it in her sleep whereas I still need a recipe. It’s to be eaten with chili, greens, beans and peas. I like it too with butter and a glass of milk. In the south, many babies’ first meal is cornbread doused with “pot liquor” from either beans or greens, which coincidently per my grandmother, is the “proper” way to eat it. She would only add corn or jalapenos if she was making it to accompany my grandfather’s chili.

Leftovers are frozen and saved to make dressing for the holidays.

I wonder if this is related to Sean's post:

My grandmother (Mom's mom) grew up in the sticks in Wisconsin. She had a recipe for sweet Cornbread that she called "Johnnycake".
Maybe this is the Northwoods Wisconsin version? It was usually made with bacon grease and sweetened with Honey. Part of the original "old-school Power Breakfast". GREAT for breakfast or AFTER a meal, but too sweet to go WITH a meal.

Anybody else heard of this one?

Whats the hype?
#1 It is the thick dark crust that forms in a preheated cast iron skillet.
#2 It is the predominant corn flavor.
#3 It is the lingering twang from good buttermilk.

How do you get there?
Good corn meal or mix.
Good buttermilk.

Good technique.
preheat oven to 425.
Preheat the cast iron skillet with corn oil. Many use canola.
Before it gets smoking hot, add the hot oil to your cornbread mixture.

The preheated iron mass makes the crust that makes cornbread special.

Just my thoughts.

Dennis Dennis Dennis...Dont attack the holy CB
icon_wink.gif
Some times its better to keep that mouth shut
icon_smile.gif

Well i have tryed Cornbread after Keri´s recipe. Nothing i fancy..But some of my guessts loved it.(and the kids went Bananas over it) I think its way to sweet for a dinner side. But its like this with traditional food. There is no right or wrong in this ofc. What do you think the americans would say if you served them a "semla" or "Rotmos"?
icon_confused.gif

Or just make a semla out of Cornbread might be a new Hype
icon_biggrin.gif

Haha. I am not attacking anything. Just trying to get some idea of the different styles. My kids loved them to so no problem there. It was just not what i had imagen.
icon_smile.gif

Cornbread is one of those things that has as many versions as folks have grandmothers. And true enough on the Breakfast/Dinner variety. I had a friend hand me this version while he was popping it in the oven to serve with pork chops and collard greens. I made it the next day with BBQ chicken and fresh fruit salad. Not much leftover for the next day, so that's a good sign.

1 cup medium cornmeal - the place I found it called it a semolina grind
1 cup unbleached AP flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt (table, not kosher)
2 tsp. chopped, fresh sage, plus 12 or so fresh leaves

1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup honey
1 large egg

1 stick unsalted butter

Oven at 400 degrees. Use a 10" cast iron skillet or dutch oven.
Whisk together first 4 ingredients, add the chopped sage
Add buttermilk, honey and egg. Stir till blended.
Melt butter in skillet, pour all but 2 tbsp. into batter. Stir gently.

Arrange fresh sage leaves in bottom of skillet. Pour batter gently over sage.

Bake 'till the color is right, about 20 -24 minutes. Rest in skillet a few minutes and flip onto serving plate. (drizzled some honey and more butter over the top and brought it to the table like that)

The recipe also double well if you use a 12" dutch oven.

Originally posted by Charles Howse:
That's pretty good lookin' cornbread, but you haven't lived till you've had Keri's Blue Ribbon Cornbread.
Make it EXACTLY like the recipe.

It's the cat's pajamas!

I made Keri's and found it kind of dry. A nice moist cb warm from the oven with some butter and maple syrup on it is really good though.

Dennis its pretty regional. On the west coast its not very popular but a southwest variety includes chopped chile peppers.

For a nice variation try/search the Paraguayan version which includes cheese and onions named Sopa Paraguaya it's much denser than the American version.

Back