barbecu eggrolls

Bill Harvey

TVWBB Super Fan
I was reading a short article on the Internet about a restaurant that servers barbecue egg rolls and how delicious they were... My Elks Lodge is looking for a unique item to sell at a local festival. Barbecue eggroll might be the thing. LOL... Has anyone ever eaten barbecue eggrolls or anybody have a recipe for barbecue eggrolls?

THANKS
bugg
icon_smile.gif

Thanks Stu... I appreciate your help... For some reason that was not exactly what I had in mind however that's a great recipe... I was thinking of a more traditional barbecue, instead of meat on a bun the pork or beef would be wrapped in an egg roll shell... perhaps with other traditional vegetables i.e. pickles, onions etc.

Hmmm ...well maybe not...
icon_confused.gif

Bill--

Typical vegs and aromatics would be one variety of cabbage or another, carrot, bean sprouts, onion, ginger, garlic. I'd likely forgo the sprouts and make coleslaw instead, as the recipe at Rusty's first link does.

To minimize an overy soggy interior I'd salt the cabbage before making the slaw (see here) and would use only enough dressing to moisten the slaw when mixing.

The pork I'd pull and toss with a little vinegar sauce or vin and a.j. or thiined Q sauce--just enough to moisten it.

Use the procedure at the second link Rusty posted for rolling, however if you're making them in bulk ahead of time, as seems likely, use an egg wash for sealing them: Beat eggs plus 1 t water per egg till well combined. Replace the water called for in the second link with this wash when rolling the rolls--just brush it on thinly with a pastry brush. Let the rolls dry for 20-30 min before cooking to allow the wash to set. It's best if you can put the rolls on cake cooling racks for air circulation.

If you anticipate a longer time till cooking, allow them to dry in the fridge, on racks and uncovered. Once dried, they can be cooked or frozen or cooked, cooled, then frozen. If you're going to freeze (whether you cook first or not) lay the rolls on pans--with a little space in between them so they're not touching--then freeze. Once frozen, they can be removed from the freezer, packed carefully in freezer containers, Ziplocs, or FoodSaver bags, then place back in the freezer (vac the FoodSaver bags, of course).

Though this process of freezing first before packing usually works quite well, you can guarantee no sticking-together problems if you tuck strips of parchment or freezer paper between the rolls when packing them for freezing.

Note than you can bake the rolls (spray with oil, place on racks over sheetpans, bake in a 375-400 oven till nicely browned) or fry them conventionally. If frying, do not crowd the pot as doing so will cause the oil temp to drop too much--it must stay above 250. (I'd recommend an oil temp of 375 before frying any rolls and a return to that temp between batches.)

If you're planning on frying them at the festival you can still pre-cook till the rolls are just lightly browned, frying them again till a bit more browned on site.

You could also finish/reheat the rolls on a charcoal or gas grill.

You might consider getting a hold of the little paper boats hot dog vendors use for the dogs they sell. An egg roll or two could be placed in the boat, garnished with a few pickle chips and handed to the customer who could then top with the Q sauce you conveniently placed in squeeze bottles on the counter.

...WOW... THANKS GUYS!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

I love this site... I am going to try both recipes... I like the idea of the paper boat's... I think the slaw and chips is also a great idea...

I'll let you know how the recipe's turnout...

THANKS AGAIN!

bugg
icon_smile.gif

Great links gentlemen. These look fantastic. I can't wait to try these out.

I am also a big fan of making bbq burritos. I don't have a recipe, I just put everything I love into a tortilla wrap.

Will...
I think you hit on something with your barbecue burritos. I put a handful of mozzarella cheese, a large handful of pulled pork, 4 or 5 dill pickle slices and my favorite barbecue sauce on a large flower tortilla wrap. I folded it in half and brown both sides in 10 inch iron skillet... Man Please!!! You have really come up with a great way to serve barbecue...

Thanks!!!

I made a batch of Collard eggrolls that were good. I used 2 tbls of leftover collards that had been drained real well and roll as you would any other eggroll. Brushed with egg wash on the edges to seal. I used a malt vinegar hot sauce as a dippin sauce. They were very good and easy to prepare or store. If you dont like straight collards you can use a 50/50 mix of cooked collards and kale to reduce the strong collard flavors. thanks, doc

I really made a mess of the eggrolls. I got all of the ingredients together to try a seafood eggroll which sounded delicious. The end results just didn't work out.

The recipe call for onions, celery, green pepper and carrots chopped and cooked until tender in oil aand oyster juice. To that you added chopped boiled shrimp and crab.

Everything tasted absolutely delicious. I made up my egg rolls however the ingredients was extremely juicy which made my eggrolls wet.

When I fried them they look great however once they set for a minute or two they become soggy. I ruined a rather expensive dish...
icon_frown.gif
I guess I should have poured everything into a colander and let it drain before I made up my eggrolls.

What a disappointment!

Try again. Sliver the vegs and toss them together in a bowl with the oyster sauce (juice?), sherry, or whatever; allow to sit 5 min or so. Heat a wok or pan with a little oil then lift the vegs out of the bowl with a slotted spoon and stir-fry the veg mixture just till the vegs are crisp-tender. Remove them to a colander or strainer.

Meanwhile, cook the shrimp in salted water till just firm. Drain, cool and peel the shrimp, then slice or chop and add to the veg. If using store-bought cooked shrimp (which are often very moist), put a handful on a doubled or tripled paper towel, wrap the towel around them and squeeze so that the towel will absorb excess water; slice or chop and add the veg mix. If using pasteurized crab, drain it well and add it to the vegs. If very moist, do the paper towel thing.

Toss all your ingredients together well then adjust seasoning. The mix should be nicely moist but just so, not at all wet.

I am glad I did a search first. I was thinking about how to do a tweak on traditional eggrolls, and pot stickers. The recipes here aren't exactly what I was looking for, but it's got the wheels turning. I think I will play with a few ideas over the next few weeks and if something turns out, I will share the results.

Anybody else want to contribute other recipes in this thread that pertain to eggrolls with any kind of smoke meat in them? Particularly pork. I think it would go well with the veg in common asian cusine,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anybody else want to contribute other recipes in this thread that pertain to eggrolls with any kind of smoke meat in them? Particularly pork. I think it would go well with the veg in common asian cusine, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love the red pork chinese places toss into lo mein (char sui).

wikipedia

Its high on my list of things to research and try. Seems like a slightly modified bbq version would work well.

see my recipe for chinese five spice here:

chinatown ribs/five spice

Back