New Grates or a New Grill?

Don Gross

TVWBB Member
I have a 2001 Genesis Silver B. I'm on my 3rd set of grates. The last ones are Weber stainless steel. I oil them before use and burn off excess food and marinade every time I use the grill. Nonetheless, this is what they look like:

P3210187.jpg

I'm considering the awesome looking stainless steel rod grates from the ebay guy, but there's one problem. Check out what's happened to the frame:

P3210186.jpg

So what do you think? Would putting new grates on this be polishing a turd? Will the grill hold together even with the rust? Any way to repair it?

Or is it time for a new grill? It would be tough to get a new one budget-wise, but I don't want to spend $120 on grates for a grill that's going to collapse in a year.

Thanks for any suggestions.

In the future rethink your procedure of "burning off" your grates after each cook, that's why yours burn out.

Fair enough. I used to not do that when I had the original porcelain coated grates. 2 sets of those disintegrated faster than the stainless ones did, which is why I tried to keep the new ones clean.

We do a lot of marinated chicken and pork chops, so there's usually some crust after cooking. I figured it was better to get rid of it than let it sit on the grates until the next time.

So, I've heard that what I do is wrong. Any suggestions on what is right?

at this point it really depends on how handy you are. if you are not then maybe look for one that is in better shape on cl and donate this one to someone who is wanting one and is handy.

I believe the rust on the frame may still be under warranty. As for the grates, I got the rod style grates from the ebay guy. I considered them a luxury, but in your case, it seems like a necessity. It would take a LONG time to wear those out. In fact, I really don't think you can.

Back