Missouri > St. Louis: Bogart's Smokehouse

Tom Fischer

TVWBB Member
www.bogartssmokehouse.com

I tried Bogart's Smokehouse today. They are located across the street from St. Louis' historical Soulard Market just south of the downtown area.

I had a Prime Rib sandwich with potato salad and chips as my sides. I also purchased a slab of baby back ribs as carry out. The sandwich was very good and had grilled onions. I tried a few baby backs when I got home and they were very good as well. I enjoyed them as much as Pappy's Smokehouse, no doubt due to the fact that Skip Steele was the pit master at Pappy's, and he now has Bogart's. I have seen him at both locations in recent months. Today he was handing out chicken wings to all his patrons.

I would definitely recommend Bogart's, as the quality is as good as my favorite Pappy's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the review, Tom. I'm on the Illinois side as well & have been eye-balling Bogart's as a place to try, being only maybe a 20-minute drive for me.
I have to say, other than Pappy's, which I don't get to too often, BBQ joints around here are rather disappointing. I was so excited when 17th street opened in O'Fallon, which is literally a 5 minute drive for me....but, alas, what a disappointment they are. Over-priced, skimpy portions, and not what I expected from a Mike Mills restaurant.
Which pretty much leaves Bandana's.....which surprisingly I find MUCH better than 17th Street.
I will try Bogart's here in the near future.

Bogarts is on the money for good eats. I have not tried Pappys but I don't see how it can be any better. Bandanas is not even in the same league as Bogarts IMO, and the drive across the river is well worth it. BTW if you're a policeman, firefighter, or military, and in uniform, you get 50% off of menu items at Bogarts. That is outstanding!

Bogart's blows Pappy's away hands down. I don't care what anyone says, it's much better. Smoked prime rib and pastrami? Yep, they have it and it's awesome. The burnt end sandwich was euphoric. Pappy's is pretty good, but nothing outstanding. 17th Street (at least the one in O'Fallon) used to be good but it isn't any longer (smaller portions, little to no sausage in the red beans & rice, mediocre pulled pork, increased prices). Haven't had Bandanas in a while but last time I did it was OK, nothing spectactular. If you want the best BBQ in St. Louis, go to Bogart's. You will not be disappointed.

Bogart's Smokehouse St. Louis - My Visit

This past weekend, we visited friends in St. Louis. On our agenda was a visit to Bogarts:

IMG_3845.JPG

We aimed for an off time and we had no problems with crowds or lines as some have reported. We went about 4PM on Saturday.

I went for the Rib and Meat Combo - 1/2 slab plus choice of any of the meats on the men (As the counterman strongly suggested, aim for the most expensive on the menu since the same up charge of $3.50 applied no matter what you choose to go with the ribs) I picked brisket.

IMG_3847.JPG

Bogarts is different - very good, kind of more 'grown up" seasoning. Not typical sweet tangy, not at all like Pappy's. Different. Better? Maybe. We called it BBQ for adults. The ribs were meaty and juicy, like they had managed to smoke them long enough to be done but not dry at all. I didn't even let the sauce touch them. Brisket was very good (I did try sauce there) and my taste of my wife's pulled pork was very good.

The sides are worth noting, especially the beans. Very good, molasses flavor.

The Aftermath:
IMG_3849.JPG

Yours Truly:
IMG_3851.JPG

Bogart's is a small place, so if you do visit I would imagine there could easily be a line and to expect a wait. It would be worth the wait though!

Ok joel, Ninth and what street??? Let me get this straight . You ordered a meat combo and they added an up charge???

Ok joel, Ninth and what street??? Let me get this straight . You ordered a meat combo and they added an up charge???

Well, I guess it was more of 'make it a combo' for $3.50 extra. I ordered the 1/2 slab dinner then added the extra meat...

9th and Lafayette

Bogarts

In my opinion, Bogarts is the best BBQ in St. Louis. Better than Pappy's, better than 17th St., better than any I've had here (and almost anywhere else for that matter). Joel, I hope you had samples of the smoked prime rib and smoked pastrami. If not, you have a reason to go back.

Last edited:
Oh I'll definitely go back. And yeah, I would give the win to Bogarts. Sadly did not sample the pastrami. Something to look forward to!

17th St was a big disappointment a couple of years ago.

Bogarts ribs were simply the best ribs I have ever eaten. Beat Pappys which we my favorite for years. I have competed in KCBS contests for 12 years and Bogarts ribs were better than mine. All the BBQ was excellent and in my opinion Bogarts is the best BBQ in St Louis. Sides were all good as well. Just go if you have the time.

Back