New RO "RIDGE"

timothy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Anyone seen it or used it yet? Says It burns hotter and faster lighting.$5.79 for 18lbs at my local Menards.Same price as the regular red bag briqs.
New Bag.
IMAG0451.jpg

Old Bag.
IMAG0452.jpg

New on the left.
IMAG0453.jpg

IMAG0454.jpg

Tim

Don't think I'd like the shape and size for direct grilling. Also, RO briqs don't last too long as it is, so I doubt I'd give any thought to pouring these ridged briqs in the bullet. However, they might be the ticket for hot-n-fast indirect chicken cooks on a kettle. Those are just my initial impressions, but who knows?

Well I'll let you know tomorrow Dave.
icon_smile.gif
I'm doin a couple of "early riser" butts and if I can get 8-9 hrs @ 275-300 with a minion start, then that's about what I get out of the old style, and I'll be happy.
We'll see..

Tim

Looks like Kingsford Comp charcoal with a bit more radical shape.

I do look for hotter charcoal for chicken since I have a hard time getting my wsm over 300 without propping open doors etc.

This is not the RO hardwood charcoal right? I use regular K and sometimes stubbs. Maybe lump if grilling steaks.

"This is not the RO hardwood charcoal right?
Do you mean like the Ultra?
I dunno never seen that brand around here. As far as I can tell its just a re-sized shape of the regular RO briqs that I can get in my area.

I'm about 3hrs in and so far its behavin like its cousin, It did light faster,about half the time it normally takes for a 1/4 chimney set over a propane torch on my OTG. I barely had time to rub the butts before I saw flames shooting up,roughly 4-5mins.

Tim

yep, one of the problems is that if the caricature of the coals are differant you now have to take everything you know and have learned with the regular stuff and toss it out the window and start over. hope this doesn't replace the original. gonna really tick me off !

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike_M:
unless this new design improves RO's burn time, I'll avoid the product like the plague. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I have never been a fan either. It's way to crumbly. If they packed the new briquettes tighter it might be worth a try. Please keep us posted Tim. I would also like to see how the leftovers keep. Thanks!

Well first impression is I like this stuff. I held 285-300 for 12hrs with minimum fuss. The Lincoln log shape helps pack the coals in and the channels (ridges) help in air-flow IMO as I only had to knock down the ashes once.
I still had a fair amount of fuel left from 3/4 of a ring, so I'm guessing I could of got 14hrs or so. The butts came out as some of the best that I ever did so I cant fault the fuel.
icon_smile.gif

Round #2 will be T-day. I'm doin a turkey on the WSM and a fresh ham on the OTG, so I'll see how this stuff behaves again.

Tim

Haven't used it but I'm guessing the 'ridges' add increased surface area which produces more burning on each briquette. That said, I'd think that unless the briquettes are larger than standard RO, burn times would decrease...?

Paul

Some of the extruded powders used in rifle ammunition have holes and/or ridges which help to provide a more consistent surface area and hence a more consistent burn rate. I guess it's possible the ridges on charcoal are there for the same reason - having a more consistent burn rate would presumably help with temperature control.

When I first saw it my first thought was maybe this was a way for them to compete with the new K with the Sure Fire edge.
I remember a bit of a fuss on here when K came out with that new design. I haven't used the K since I bought the WSM in 08 and quite frankly I don't miss it. But it does seems to be the most popular brand on this board and I respect that.
Chris A had a piece on the new K which might explain some of the reasons that RO changed its shape and size.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/kingsford2010.html

Tim

Back