An Excellent Coffee Maker

Sean S.

TVWBB Pro
If you're in the market for a high-end coffee maker I can't say enough about the Technivorm Moccamaster. It makes the best drip coffee I've ever had. You can buy it here; the model I have currently runs around $240 plus shipping. I've made side-by-side comparisons with my Braun machine and the Tecnhi is much richer in flavor. It also brews a full pot amazingly fast, and I mean fast. Figure 6 minutes max for a full pot.

Sean - I just had to 2nd that recommendation for the Technivorm Moccamaster. For decades I just used a Melita filter and did it all manually. Finally got my first coffee maker - the Technivorm Moccamaster. Excellent product. Sweet Marias was out of it, so I got it from a company in Portland, OR.

Richard

(Wow. How ya doing Richard?)

I've looked at the machine many times. I keep forgetting to measure my clearance in the kitchen. I'm not sure I can do 15". The KBTS is smaller but I want the larger pot. Maybe I'll just figure out another place for it...

Hi Kevin! The Technivorm Moccamaster is 12-3/4" wide, 6" deep, and about 14" tall. Has a 1.25 liter capacity in the glass carafe. Real easy to clean.

Richard

That does look pretty sweet. I roast my own beans as well. Its a big comitment, when all you want is a good cup. But I got into it more as a hobby than anything. I hardly do it anymore.

All it says on the outside is " Freshroast Coffee Bean Roaster"

It only does about 3/4 cup of beans. But it works nice. I just don't do it much anymore. It does make great coffee. I ordered it from an internet beer homebrewer catalogue.

If I can come up with the name, I will post it here.

Fresh Roast is a brand of roaster. I'm guessing that's what you have...?

Richard-- Thanks for the info. Where from in Portland? (I'm there now.)

Yes. And the catalogue is from Williams Brewing Company. Their website offers all the same stuff as their catalogue.

They have some awesome stuff.

Richard, I've used Chemexes (which I loved but took too dang long), Mr. Coffees, everything; I'm a Moccamaster convert now. I also love saying "I am the Moccamaster" in a Darth Vader voice...

I used to roast my own coffee at the office (I'm a coffee 'dealer') and grind at home but I frankly don't want the hassle anymore.

If I had the counter space, a Moccamaster would share it with my restored Old White Coffee Gaggia and MDF grinder. With beans roasted on the Genesis 1000/RK Drum roaster! I love Sweet Marias!

Yeah, he Moccamaster is a great machine. The Newco OCS-12A is also a very good machine. It's really a shame that most machines out there can't even brew at the right temperature.

I also roast my own. i use an RK drum in an el cheapo gas grill and can roast up to 3 lbs at a time. I normally roast about 1 1/2 pounds on a weekend to keep us stocked for the week.

Tom - I had a Freshroast roaster, but sent it back because it did not work well. I'm now using the I-Roast2 which works well but will not roast very much at a time (around 140g).

Kevin - now I remember. It was:

Boyd's Coffee Co.
19730 NE Sandy Blvd
Portland, Oregon 97230
800-223-8211

Ron - that RK drum looks interesting.

Richard

Yeah, it gets the job done. Originally I made a makeshift roaster with a blender bowl attached to a hot air popcorn popper. It was more trouble than it was worth.

Going back to the original posting, is this coffee maker the kind of thing that's going to cause power brown outs in the kitchen? I remember as a kid, our waffle iron had to be plugged into a separate outlet or it would switch the surge protectors.

It would be nice to try this though. I need to start drinking coffee in the morning again. I have one of those Starbucks brew and go sort of things, and its only ok.

I don't have time in the am, to get my french press out, even though it makes the best coffee.

No, it shouldn't cause any such problems; I think the power load is somewhat less than the Chair at Sing-Sing
icon_smile.gif

I do remember Alton Brown mentioning how a properly designed ( powerful) waffle maker, does the proper job of making a good crisp waffle, but that it also draws more juice than any other small kitchen appliance, and can sometimes cause problems.

I think I get the theory, but I'm not an electrician.

can i ask you fellow coffee hounds a question? I love coffee. I do not have a sweet maker like that but I DO love coffee and have had a hell of a lot of different kinds, some of the best for some reason are made right here in Colorado. (just my opinion) Although i've never had "Kona" from Hawaii and really want to... anyway, sorry. Does anyone find a good old fashioned perculator kind of special in any way? not like an old fashion one but friends of mine own a up-do-date one but functions under the same idea. I gotta say I have a good maker, but there coffee, same grind, is just different, as is any and all makers. I just don't understand it,
icon_biggrin.gif
. but its ok, i don't have to, I can still love it. just curious your thoughts, im a coffee hound as much as anyone who just lacks a cool maker like that. I own a stainless "Brewstation Pro". thanks just curious.

I'm tempted to order the mochamaster that has the thermal carafe, on Wednesday. It looks like its $10 more on one site, and not available on the other.

tom, the *only* thing i dislike about the moccamaster is that the carafe is a pain to clean; you really have to wedge the brush in their if you've left coffee sitting in it a while. mind you, it's stainless steel so you can wedge away to your hearts content and you're not going to hurt it.

don, the problem with a percolator, and goodness knows i'm someone who grew up on percolater brew ( at least until joe dimaggio invented the mr. coffee machine
icon_smile.gif
), is that the coffee is boiled repeatedly. this causes all the tasty volatile aromatics to boil off and leaves the bitter nasty ones. there's just no way to make a 'good' cup of coffee in a percolator. oh sure, if your definition of 'good' is 'reminds me of the wonderful times i had in the church social hall growing up' then that's fine and the percolator is for you.
icon_smile.gif

Back