Is Ancho Chili Spice the same as Ancho Chili Powder?

Bryan B

TVWBB Fan
Trying to find this ingredient as it is part of one of Kevin Kruger's rubs.

World Market is closer and cheaper, but it is listed as Ancho Chili Spice

Williams & Sonoma has Ancho Chili Powder but it it less convenient for me and more expensive

Question to anyone that knows....is "Ancho Chili Spice" the same as "Ancho Chili Powder"?

Bryan,

Hard to tell if the 2 are the same. Generally, a chili 'powder' is a combination of several chili powders and other spices (oregano, cumin, garlic, etc.). Calling something an Ancho Chili Spice could mean almost anything; pure ground dried Ancho or a mix of Ancho and other peppers. I don't know which rub you're refering to, but I can safely guess that Kevin doesn't suggest the use of 'blended' powders; rather the combination of specific ground chilies to achieve a certain flavor profile. I'd go with the closer and cheaper option 1st and see what you think as far as flavor. No rub recipes are etched in stone and can easily be tweaked. There probably won't be much difference between the 2 brands.

Paul

Your local grocery store may likely sell dried ancho chilies. If that is the case, use them and grind them in an old cofee grinder or mortal and pestle into a powder. There ya go - homemade ancho chili powder. I've never found bottled Ancho Chili Powder, aside from WS (like you said, expensive). So I make my own.

The World Spice site lists Ancho Chili as the only ingredient, so if that's the case... your good to go. However, grinding up your own (as noted) would still be my preference.

I can't answer your question but I've been trying to find Ancho Chili powder and the stores here don't carry it. I think this is a good representation of how to make your own. http://www.cookingbytheseatofm...ancho-chilie-powder/ I found another site that said to roast the whole peppers before grinding and I think I'll try that method but this gets the idea across.

I just did a search on "Ancho Chili Spice" and found this: "2 tablespoons ancho chili powder 2 teaspoons dried oregano 1 teaspoon light or dark brown sugar 1 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon black pepper 1 teaspoon ground cumin" I suspect this recipe varies from cook to cook.

Sounds like Kevin has your answer.

My guess is the ancho chili spice is just ancho chili powder. The description of it only mentions poblanos. And that isn't a terrible price for it..I can find ancho chili powder at Jewel which is larger market here like Kroger and what not, but man it is EXPENSIVE. It's like $6 or $7 bucks for a small bottle like the one listed on that site....

I'm not remembering the brand off the top of my head(Spice World,maybe?),but they sell spices in clear bottles with green labels and lids. You can find them in most grocery stores. That's where I found some ancho chili powder. It's usually a little better spice than the McCormicks,and usually a little more expensive!

Originally posted by Marc:
The World Spice site lists Ancho Chili as the only ingredient, so if that's the case... your good to go.

I agree. Call them if you have doubts.

When I buy Ancho from the local Farmer's market, it's listed as Ancho Chile Powder. Ingredients: Ancho Chile.

Just to make everyone aware....

I went to World Market today and bought what they list as "Ancho Chili Spice"

On the back of the jar, it says "ingredients-ancho chili pepper"

So it is just ground ancho chili which is what I wanted. Just FYI to anyone else who may be looking for this, you can get it at World Market...

Yep, that's where I got mine, and I REALLY like it in rib or chicken rubs.
icon_smile.gif

I tried making my own from Ancho Chilis and, to me, it smells like bad coffee. Maybe I roasted the chilis too much. Does the commercial stuff smell good? I would ask what it smells like but that seems like a dumb question.

Lew,if I remember correctly,the ancho chili powder smells like chili powder without the earthiness of the cumin.

In my local bulk store, they sell both ancho chile powder and pure ancho powder. The pure powder costs 5x as much as the chile powder.

So in answer to your question, I would say they are not the same product.

I'm a bit late to the party here, but I'm with Matt. I haven't ordered spices from anywhere except Penzeys in probably over 15 years. I admit once or twice in a jam I'll buy something off the shelf in the grocery store, but I don't like doing that due to price and not having any idea how long it's been sitting there. Penzeys is absolutely the best when it comes to quality, consistency, and customer service.

As for the chili powder vs chili spice vs chili pepper discussion, in case anyone isn't aware "chili powder" is a blend consisting of "chili pepper" and other spices. I haven't run into the "chili spice" term previously.

Pure ancho powder is probably made from seeded chilies and not the entire chili. The key is it should be dark red and no other spices blended in there.

Mexican markets are another good source.

I also highly recommend New Mexico Red chili powder which usually comes in mild, medium, hot.

I can't make a chicken without it. Any my brisket rub is red chile powder, salt and black pepper.

Back