DrSarcasmo's Favorite Jerk Sauce Recipe

G

DrSarcasmo's Favorite Jerk Sauce Recipe

*WARNING* Don't mix this sauce up if you are hungry!! The scent alone will drive ya insane.
The last time I mixed up a batch, it smelled so good I was eyeing my pet parrots as potential food items. Luckily, they're scrappy little bastids and I figured it wasn't worth the
fight...; )

4 to 10 Scotch Bonnet or Habenero peppers, stemmed, seeded, and cut into small strips (I use 3 to 4 so it's got a kick but not too hot for most people, about as spicy as yer average hot wing)
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup coarsely chopped shallots
2 bunches of chives or scallions (white and green parts), trimmed and coarsely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger
2 tablespoons coarse salt (kosher or sea), to taste (believe me, 2 is enough!)
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, or 1 1/2 teaspoons of dried thyme
2 teaspoons of ground Allspice
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup (packed) dark brown sugar (I actually add 2 more tablespoons above this amount to offset the saltiness of this recipe)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cup cold water, or as needed

Combine the chiles, onion , shallots, chives, garlic, parsley, cilantro, ginger, thyme, salt, and spices in the food processor and process to a coarse paste. Add the remaining ingredients, including water, 1 tablespoon at at time, processing to make a thick but spreadable paste. Don't make it too runny, you want it to stick to the meat. Use right away or transfer to a large jar, cover, placing a piece of plastic wrap between the rim of the jar and the lid, and refrigerate. It'll keep for months.

Makes 2 Cups, enough for 3 ta 4 pounds of meat, chicken or seafood. (I haven't tried the seafood yet)

How I use it: I takes the meat I'm going to jerk and and liberally poke holes in it with a fork. In Jamaica, this is called "jooking" and is the source of the name "jerk" sauce. If you are making ribs, remove the membrane first. I then place a sheet of plastic wrap in a glass baking dish and lay down a layer of sauce. I take the meat and press it into the sauce. I then spread a layer of sauce on the top of the meat and lay plastic wrap over that, pressing the sauce into the holes in the meat with my fingers. I then refrigerate and let marinate overnite. I marinated chicken for 4 hours before and that works great too.

I recommend slow cooking the meat over a smoky fire. I've used hickory chips with chicken grilled(!) on a Weber kettle, but pecan kicks butt with pork ribs smoked in my Weber bullet. This is amazing with grilled lamb chops. I heartily recommend a nice cold Red Stripe Beer to cool ya off as ya chomp down on this heavenly concotion.

90% of this recipe is from Steve Raichlen's excellent book, the Barbeque Bible:Sauces, Rubs and Marinades. I've been slowly modifying the recipe each time I make it and I definately like more brown sugar in the mix, as there is a heck of a lot of salt in this. I'm gonna add more allspice next time around also...

I'd love to hear about other folk's experience with this, so keep us all posted on yer jerk sauce journey...

DrSarcasmo

Normally if you like it on chicken it will work on pork and that's true the otherway around also.
Jim

Ken Wilkens wrote:

Has anyone tried this recipe on baby backs? Having a party soon and looking for BB rib alternatives....
Ken

--------------------

Ken,
The first time I did ribs in my WSM I used the jerk sauce on baby backs. They came out wonderful flavorwise, but a wee bit dry 'cause I cooked 'em
for 4.5 hrs at 250. If ya cook 'em for 225 for 3.5, they should come out perfect...

DrSarcasmo

I marinated the ribs in the sauce for 4 hours, then I smoked 'em. When marinating, don't forget ta poke holes in the meat with a fork or the tip of a paring knife. Don't go too overboard, but the holes definately help the sauce soak into the meat.

Don't forget ta let us all know how they turn out!

DrSarcasmo

Back