Peppered Ahi Tuna with Cantaloupe & Pineapple Salsa (Chris Lilly)

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Peppered Ahi Tuna with Cantaloupe & Pineapple Salsa

Makes: 6 servings
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 6-8 minutes

Ingredients:

6 Ahi tuna steaks 3/4 – 1 inch thick

Pepper Paste
1/4 cup coarse ground black pepper
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
3/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt

Cantaloupe and Pineapple Salsa
1 cup diced cantaloupe
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup diced pineapple
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2-1/2 tablespoons lime juice
2 teaspoons minced jalapeno peppers
salt

In a small bowl, add the pepper paste ingredients and blend until the mixture forms a paste. Coat the tuna steaks evenly with the pepper paste. Wrap each steak individually with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Combine the cantaloupe and pineapple salsa ingredients in a medium bowl and toss until mixed. Add salt to taste. The salsa can be served at room temperature or refrigerated until ready to use.

Build a charcoal fire in an outdoor grill and open all dampers for maximum heat. Heat the grill to approximately 500 to 600 degrees Fahrenheit. Apply a light coat of oil to the hot grill grates. Remove the tuna steaks from the plastic wrap and place on the grill, directly over the heat. Grill for three minutes on each side or less depending on how you like them. Tuna should be firm with pink in the middle. If you prefer your tuna to be rare to medium-rare, grilling time should be reduced to 1½ to 2 minutes per side.

To serve, slice the tuna into 1/4 inch strips and top with a generous amount of salsa.

Recipe created by champion pitmaster, Chris Lilly, on behalf of Kingsford® charcoal

Thank you for posting this Chris! My wife loved it:
DSC03282.JPG

Sounds great! I just stumbled across this after doing seared tuna with a very similar mango and peach salsa last night. Mango salsa also goes extremely well with salmon. At a recent cooking class in Seattle, we made an orange, sriracha salsa with seared tuna, and that worked well together. I also plan on trying a pineapple and mango salsa soon. Either sriracha or jalapenos have worked well for the heat component. Last night, I also tried a soy, ginger, garlic reduction sauce paired with a creamy wasabi sauce, and sauce/tuna/salsa combination was one of my better experiments in recent memory.

Back