Bobby Flay/Wood Chicks/Throwdown Last night ??

John Furdyn

TVWBB Pro
Saw above program last night, they made pork Butts/pulled pork. They where using large trailer type smokers.

Wood Chicks Lady said, she cooked butts @ 225 for 14 hrs. When she made a pulled pork sandwich for Bobby, she pulled the butt and it was still on the smoker.

I saw no tin foil, they didn't talk about resting the meat, at all. Is this just TV omissions, because of time restrictions ?

Also I wonder if a smoker like that uses a water pan ?

I was very suprised at how little bark there seamed to be on the butts. If they were cooked for 14 hrs. even @ 225 with no foiling. Even if she used a low sugar rub ?

Anyone see the show and care to comment ?

Thanks

I only was able to listen to it as I was making risotto and my attention stayed on the pan.

Of course, I also smoked a chuck roast last night so it wasn't a total loss!

you dont have to let it rest if its all going to be eaten right then just have at it. you dont have to use foil either. the main purpose of resting a hunk of bbq is to let the juices redistribute so leftovers dont go dry and a platter of cut meat doesnt go dry on the table.

foil serves as a means of keeping moisture in the meat as it slowly cools. neither will hurt but both can make it better.

i would love to see that episode since i think flay is about the ridiculous cook on the food network. he always takes a dish and does something wierd that completely misses the point of beating someone at their own game. he always does some fruity california/newyork thing by adding wierd crap that doesnt belong in a dish he is challenging someone to then stacks the deck with food critics that never eat that sort of food to begin with. he is just hilarious.

wonder if he used a wsm with the waterpan on the coals to cook his pork... heh

I sw that one the first time it aired. Both parties cooked their food offsite, and brought it htere and just had it in the smoker for ambience. When he is driving to the location bobby mentions that part of it, especialy since they pull up to the competition with the smoker being towed.
As for Bobby, I like him. Not Sure where the food critic comment comes in, as usually loses the throwdowns. Stacking the deck usually means things go in YOUR favor.

I saw some of the show last night.

Both offsets were built in Texas by David Klose and I would absolutely love to add one (and a Jambo) to my aresnal.

These pits don't use a water pan as a heat sink/barrier between the coals and the food.

Since it's David's usual practice, the pits probably had tuning plates installed along the bottom of the cooking chamber to even out the temperatures along its length. Without them, the chamber would have hot and cold areas and a much smaller sweet spot at the optimal temperature.

As for the show's omissions and glossings over, remember it was originally staged simply as a demonstration for a pilot so everything would've been precooked and sufficiently rested.

Plus, keep in mind the show is produced and edited in NEW YORK CITY, probably by a bunch of militant vegans.

Just a guess. HTH

didn't see the episode but I'd like to throw in my two cents about bobby flay. I've cooked quite a bit from his books and just about every recipe's a winner. As far as I'm concerned, that's pretty much all that matters. He can be the biggest clown on tv, but if he can write a good recipe that's a homerun when I cook it, then he's cool by me. Flay will be the first to admit, food tv painted him in a corner and they represent him as something he's not, but he doesn't mind cashing in on it all.

ok, sorry for the mini rant. try his stuff (like this sauce) you'll love it.

I really, just was curious about, how "little" bark there "seamed" to be on the wood chicks butt.

After she said she was going to cook them for "14" hrs @ "225".

I would have thought that in that amount of time there would have been alot of bark on it.

Because my family is not big on bark.

Thanks All

I missed the show but DVR'd it. I'll take a look tonight. I would imagine that it was the typical "made for TV" deal where they just said to cook 'em up and be ready to pull 'em when we say "ACTION!"

having eaten at wood chicks a few times i must say that flay's pulled pork must have been pretty bad for him to lose. wood chicks is just ok in my opinion. and both times the PP was rather dry.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Holloway:
I saw the show and was impressed with wood chick. How many readers here put slaw on top of their PP sandwiches? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is pretty common down here in the Chattanooga area. I prefer it on the side, but my people are not from here.

Always put slaw on our PP sandwiches. And I'm a yankee!! My wife remembered that from her childhood in southern Ohio and turned me onto it. Now, we are doing the same for our friends up here. They always look at us like we are crazy for putting the slaw on there and then love it once they taste it.

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Furdyn:
I really, just was curious about, how "little" bark there "seamed" to be on the wood chicks butt.

After she said she was going to cook them for "14" hrs @ "225".

I would have thought that in that amount of time there would have been alot of bark on it.

Because my family is not big on bark.

Thanks All </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't see the episode.......was there alot of meat on her cooker? If so a that alone may cause lack of bark due to alot of humidity in the cooker combined with the low cooking temps. Proteins and sugars must caramelize in order to create bark, too much moistue and insufficient heat will prevent caramelization.

We use foil for 3 reasons, mainly for:
1) if the bark starts turning too dark
2) if we are going to hold the meat
3) if time is a factor

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
didn't see the episode but I'd like to throw in my two cents about bobby flay. I've cooked quite a bit from his books and just about every recipe's a winner. As far as I'm concerned, that's pretty much all that matters. He can be the biggest clown on tv, but if he can write a good recipe that's a homerun when I cook it, then he's cool by me. Flay will be the first to admit, food tv painted him in a corner and they represent him as something he's not, but he doesn't mind cashing in on it all.

ok, sorry for the mini rant. try his stuff (like this sauce) you'll love it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

im not saying he cant cook. obviously he can. i find his shows silly and he comes across as a tool when he is doing those throwdowns. he lacks the class on TV that great cooks like julia childs had. it seems the food network is going dangerously close towards the travel channels anthony bordain and the bald guy that eats bugs and the man vs food silliness.

bobby flay would be more interesting if he did interviews and did more of the history of the people and the dishes he portrays on his throwdown show than the silly competition thing. just my opinion.
icon_smile.gif

I am a fan of Flay. Nice guy, at least that is what Im told. I wish I had his job!
He comes to the Kentucky Derby and I know some people who have met him and all of them say he is actually down to earth. Who woulda thunk that. lol plus he does use charcoal a lot.

Larry

Your right there was a lot of meat on the cooker, several butts as I recall. So as you said that plus the low heat is probably the reason there didn't seam to be a lot of bark.
They looked just the way my family likes them.

I put a 7.5 lb butt on the WSM @ 4:00 this morning. Will rotate at about 7 hrs. Lid temp has been pretty constant @ 240 since about 5:00 AM, Water in the pan. Plan to cook untill done @ the low temp, foil about 45 mins and enjoy.
Little Baked Beans on the side. Slaw & (a little) BBQ sauce on the sammy.

Thanks All

Seen the show twice and I agree with Tony C.,Wood Chicks is OK. I won't drive out of my way for it.

I like Flay and most of his shows, but Throwdown is a bit hokie for me. And don't forget, he has a pretty hot wife.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Holloway:
How many readers here put slaw on top of their PP sandwiches? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is there any other way? My wife and I even have a certain bun we like for PP. Slaw and a corn meal bun -> Mmmmmmm.

Back