Charbroiled Oysters

Ernie D

TVWBB Pro
This March I went to New Orleans with some friends and tasted something that changed my life.... Charbroiled Oysters at Drago's
4707651445_6ca5419600_b.jpg

Ever since, I have wanted to make them at home. Well, Wednesday was the day. I found a place with good Oysters for about 9 bucks a dozen.(Bob's Seafood in U City) I bought two dozen and headed over to my brother's place to fire them up. I used This Recipe.

We shucked the oysters, made the sauce (butter, garlic, pepper), and grated some fresh parmesan cheese. I placed all the oysters on a hot grill (minus the ones I couldn't resist sucking down raw) Next, I ladled the butter sauce over the oysters. Finally cheese is sprinkled into each one. The oysters are great served with some crusty bread to soak up extra juice.

Here are the photos.

Man, these things are so good. The cook was really fun because the butter sauce flares up about 3 feet above the grill. It made me feel like I was back in the Big Easy.
4708315532_a9d0ca5cb7.jpg

Thanks for looking!

**** these look good. I can get Pacific or Blue Point this weekend for .59 each, oyster experts, which would work best for this recipe?

Larry, I'm no expert, but I would use whichever oyster was the biggest. You could shuck and slurp one of each as you buy to test. They shrink while cooking, but this recipe will bring out great flavor from any oyster. You and everyone else will have a blast making them.

Hmmmm . . . I'm thinking the Pacific are probably bigger and the blue point look better for shucking and slurping. Think I'll go with both!

Hi Ernie - Thanks for the great post - I'm going to try these this week but had a question. At first I thought You were creating the flames when you threw in the cheese but if you will clarify; It looks like the flames are being created by self ignition by the butter sauce when it reaches a high enough temperature. Would appreciate any information. Thanks for the great post and presentation. Bob Bailey
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Hi Another,

Oh man! You are going to love making these. You will REALLY love eating them.
The fire is from the butter in the fire, not self ignition. The butter in the shells is not burning. All the flames are coming from the coals, up, around, and above the oysters. The shells work as perfect heat shields. The recipe says to spoon the butter mixture into each oyster before placing on the grill. I wanted big flames to make my brother happy, so I ladled it onto the oysters the way I thought they did it at Dragos restaurant. Some of it misses and goes into the fire making it flame up a few feet. I bet the same thing would happen to a lesser extent from simmering and splattering into the fire. I think next time I will fill each oyster with butter sauce and cheese before placing onto the hot grill..... Nah! I want big flames!

Oysters! Yeah, that's the ticket!

I can get Pacific or Blue Point this weekend for .59 each, oyster experts, which would work best for this recipe?

Blue points would be my choice. If you find medium or smaller, milder Pacifics, that'll work too. In general I find Pacifics to have over powering flavors.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

One more addendum to your post Ernie - This has to go down as one of the best posts of the year.
icon_razz.gif
I am a true afficionado of Oysters and just did a dozen last night,
icon_rolleyes.gif
FLAMES and all, lol. Fortunately I bought 2 dozen yesterday and still have a dozen left over for tonights dinner.
icon_biggrin.gif
I have to agree with you; they were extremely good. I also told my wife to change plans for my "GRANDE FINALE" someday. I told her I do not want an ordinary burial. Just send me to the Crematory with my Weber Kettle, a couple dozen Oysters and Ernie's Drago recipe. Thanks again, Bob
wsmsmile8gm.gif

What are the odds. I'll be traveling to New Orleans later this month on business and I just happen to be staying at the Hilton New Orleans Riverside! Ha, guess you can guess where and what I'll be dining on during my stay.

Thanks Another Bob!

I wish I could take credit for the recipe, but it is the original one from Dragos. I am so glad you liked it. Those oysters made me feel the same way. I wanted to run around in the streets and tell everyone about them. My mouth is watering as I type.

Larry, Start with 2 dozen.... Seriously! I also had their stuffed lobster. It was so good I even ate the gills.

I hit Drago's Thursday evening and while good I was surprised at how small the oysters were. Honestly I had a couple that were the size of a nickle, nothing like the Pacific oysters we grill on the west coast. In-spite of the size they were excellent!

IMG00863.jpg

Back