Apple Honey Poultry Brine

Bryan S

TVWBB Olympian
For some reason I never posted this here so I'm doing it now. Been doing my turkeys this way since 2004. Thanks to Chris A. and Keri C. for 2 great recipes that I combined somewhat.
The turkeys come out fantastic i use a 12 lb fresh Perdue turkey.

1 12-14 lb Turkey
1 gal Apple juice
3/4 cup kosher salt
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 oranges 1/4'rd and squeezed into brine also add the 1/4's to the brine
4 oz of fresh ginger sliced thin
15 whole cloves

Place bird neck end down in a non reactive pot or plastic container and submerge in brine. You can also use a platic bag and add the turkey and brine and then add to a large pot i use a turkey fryer pot with water in it if your container is too big instead of making more brine. That method works really well. Brine for 12-24 hrs depeding on how much flavor you want to get from the brine. Rinse the bird VERY well inside and out with running water to remove all traces of the brine. Patt dry with towels and set to dry overnight in refrigerator 8 - 10 hrs. Smoked at 235 - 250 till done. I used cherry wood. So moist and tender and the color is perfect.
EDIT: Also one can up the salt in this recipe if a saltier taste is wanted. With all the sweets in there it can take more salt if so desired. I keep it low as posted so I can leave the turkey in the brine longer (24 hrs) for a stronger apple, honey, orange, ginger flavor.
JRPTH-XCIVE-BBQPICS005.jpg

Bryan,

Looks great! How long does your typical turkey smoke take at the 235-250 temp? Is this lid or grate temp? Water in pan or clay base?

Bob W.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Great looking brine....how prominent is the clove flavor? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve, not very clovy at all. You can leave it out if you like, which I have done but I like it with the cloves.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert W:
Bryan,

Looks great! How long does your typical turkey smoke take at the 235-250 temp? Is this lid or grate temp? Water in pan or clay base?

Bob W. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bob, 4.5-5 hrs at 235-250 top grate temp. Most of the time I do them higher at 350 but I was also cooking a brisket at the time with the turkey in the pic. I just use the WSM water pan empty and foiled lined to make clean up easy. I have not used water in the pan in over 4 years.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back