Easy way to clean the bowl of your charcoal grill!

TimO

This is the easiest way I have found to safely clean my charcoal bowl. I use a composite shim that you can find at any hardware store. It really works good once the edges have rounded off.
icon_smile.gif

shim.jpg

Great idea Tim!
I have a bunch of them sittin in the gang-box and would of never thought of that tip
icon_cool.gif

Tim

Remember that charcoal igniter fluid that you don't use since you started using a chimney? If you saturate the inside kettle walls from about the food grate down, and stand back to get it lit safely, it does a great job of burning the crud off, and is kind of fun to watch too.

This depends how you define Clean. I've recently started to hose down my bowl before a grill session. First get all the ash out with the help of the One-Touch cleaning system; then i use a brush to sweep down all the ash the One-Touch can't get to; Then i flip the grill over and knock out more ash; then i hose down the inside of bowl.

This depends how you define Clean. I've recently started to hose down my bowl before a grill session. First get all the ash out with the help of the One-Touch cleaning system; then i use a brush to sweep down all the ash the One-Touch can't get to; Then i flip the grill over and knock out more ash; then i hose down the inside of bowl.

I'm way too lazy to do this plus I'm trying to have fun when I grill but every now and then I will give the inside a quick and not very thorough scraping.

Remember that charcoal igniter fluid that you don't use since you started using a chimney? If you saturate the inside kettle walls from about the food grate down, and stand back to get it lit safely, it does a great job of burning the crud off, and is kind of fun to watch too.
jeeze , I jokingly suggested something similar in another forum and got royally flamed for my trouble. but I hear ya. prob'ly work great. :cool: I am a plastic putty knife fan , just for the record.

Back