EMERGENCY 19 lb. brisket DO I HAVE ENOUGH TIME?

G

Hey folks

I'm attempting my first BIG brisket for a company party at 1 pm. I started it at 7 pm last night? You guys think it will be done by 1-2pm today? I think i should of started earlier!! Now I am panicking. Should i pull it at 11am or so and finish it in the oven?

Hi,
Why don't you slice that brisket in half that way tou will have 2, 9 pounders & they will cook quicker.

Johnny T.

Nick,

Relax, What is the temp. of the flat section of the brisket now?

I have, due to time issues, finished briskets in the oven. I just put it in a roasting pan with some beef stock and BBQ sauce,cover tightly with foil and bake at 350° until fork tender. Slice and allow to stay in the pan juices till served.

You could pull it now and put it in the oven and not panic anymore. It is nearly done and should not take more then an hour or two @ 350°

Al

At what temp are you cooking, Nick? Echoing Al, what is the internal temp now?

You can definitely finish in the oven. Alternatively, if you prefer to sauce later, you can put it on a rack in a pan with 1/2 c water, and cover tightly with foil. Take it to temp; you can then wrap and rest it as you would had you cooked it in the WSM the whole time and slice at serve time.

John Mac - Yah i thought about that
icon_frown.gif
but its too late now, it took an act of god to fit that thing on the top rack.

It's 7:30 rite now and i turned the brisket end over end, some beautiful bark has formed since the first post but i can tell it could use 5-8 more hours of rendering. 16 lbs of butts are on the bottom rack are doing beautifully.

There was a little drizzle throughout the early morning hours (washington what a surprise!). Has'nt really affected WSM temps though, been cooking 215-220 all night since 7 pm.

Should i foil at 9am or wait a little longer? Will check the internal temps when i liven the coals in an hour. Thankyou very much for your responses
icon_smile.gif

Personally, I'd up the cook temp to 250 grate--I see no advantage in cooking lower unless you need to prolong a cook. You could easily go to 275. You can foil it so speed up the cook time and leave it in the cooker, moving it to the oven if necessary to finish it in time.

Measured 175F inside the brisket. I foiled and am finishing in a 300 degree oven, is 2 hours OK?. I fished the igloo cooler out the garage so i can keep the brisket hot until serving. I think the outlook looks pretty good, i will post pictures of the finished product for you guys later. thanks a bunch for the expertise.

Hi,

Maybe two hours is cool hard to tell, time isn't the only factor. Just stick a fork into the sucker if it slides in and out without any resistance at all, then it done. Around 190°-195°.

Put in the cooler till serving time.

Al

Back