Pete's Second Annual Memorial Day Barbecue Music, Booze and Beer Survey

Pete B

TVWBB Member
Cooking four slabs of spares, three chickens and some hot links on Sunday, but the music is one of my excuses for barbecuing. Beer too.

This year it'll be Paul Thorn, Ray and the Detonators, Delbert McClinton, Lee Roy Parnell, the Radio Kings, T Graham Brown, Sleepy Joe Lee, Levon Helm, Bonnie Bishop, Dick50 and the BoDeans.

Sol and Caballo are the beers of the weekend, along with mojitos.

How about you?

I've got a locally-grown butt in the basement freezer waiting for the long weekend.

I've been going through one of my annual Tropicalia phases, so likely a mix of Caetano Veloso, Gal Costa, Milton Nascimento, Jorge Ben, Tom Ze and my beloved Os Mutantes. Although I was feeling homesick when I was doing my last brisket, so then it was some Ernest Tubb, Willie and Roky.

I think the current stock in the bar fridge is some Narragansett pounders, a Saranac variety pack and a sixer of Negra Modelo.

That sounds like a great party.

FOOD: A big group of friends is getting together for a friendly rib cookoff. So far there are 11 entries! I don't know about you, but trying 11 different ribs sounds amazing to me. I will be making three slabs of Baby Backs. Smoke, foil, grill and glaze.

MUSIC: My favorite BBQ music is a combo of Al Green, James Brown, and Classic Rock.

BOOZE: I love Whiskey, water, and a spash of coke in a full glass of ice. Anything else you can possibly imagine sounds good too.

BEER: Again, my gift and curse are the same: I love almost all beer. The host says he will have a couple of kegs from Shlafly Brewery. Shlafly is located here in St. Louis, and have a lot of crowd pleasing beers. If the kegs fall through, I will probably go with the afore mentioned whiskey drink.

Have fun everybody.

Originally posted by Stewart M.:
I've got a locally-grown butt in the basement freezer waiting for the long weekend.

I've been going through one of my annual Tropicalia phases, so likely a mix of Caetano Veloso, Gal Costa, Milton Nascimento, Jorge Ben, Tom Ze and my beloved Os Mutantes. Although I was feeling homesick when I was doing my last brisket, so then it was some Ernest Tubb, Willie and Roky.

I think the current stock in the bar fridge is some Narragansett pounders, a Saranac variety pack and a sixer of Negra Modelo.

I'm not familiar with the others, but Milton is great! Almost unheard of in the States but excellent.

We saw Milton at Berklee last fall and you'd think he was the Beatles reunited from the audience response: Boston has such a big Brazilian population that most of his between-song stage banter was in Portuguese!

Food: Pork Butts and Ribs.

Music: Neil Young, the Allman Bros., and other stuff in that vein.

Booze: Some Jack (or maybe Beam) and diet coke.

Beer: ZiegenBock, which I feel is the perfect beer for pairing with BBQ. I'll have some Bud Light on hand for general purpose beer.

My wife and daughter are going to be in Atlanta for the weekend so I will be unsupervised for the most part!

Food - Ribs and pork butts. Maybe a bacon explosion for a treat.

Music - Waylon Jennings (the Essential), Johnny Cash, Dwight Yokam, then to close out the night I like to listen to both CD's of The Allman Brothers Live at the Filmore.

Booze - Evan Williams and Coke

Beer - Capital Brewery "Supper Club" and Bud Light

Food: 100+ pounds of assorted barbecued meats (butts, picnics, briskets, spares, backs, chuck roll, hot links, chicken, turkey, and more). Homemade Mac & Cheese, coleslaw, BBQ beans, and whatever else my guests bring. Forty-five (45!) homemade pies.

Music: The Famous.

Beer: Original recipe Schlitz. Sam Adam's Summer Assortment case. Whatever else my guests bring (this is always the "good" stuff).

Memorial weekend cook (2010 smokeday)will be loinback ribs, bud light, ZZtop, Allman Brothers. Maybe some Nuge and Molly Hatchet...and a pinch of Primus.
icon_smile.gif

May have a line on a Wagyu to try out. Should be interesting. If not, then just some BB ribs.

Music: I've been on a serious Diana Krall thing lately. Throw in some Pat Matheny for good measure.

Libation: Sam Adam's Summer Ale, Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy, and of course Yueling.

Let The Weekend Begin!!

Russ

Originally posted by Paul Johnson:
Hey Steve,

I went to the beach site for music and I don't see anything playing. Do you have to be a member?

Thanks,

Paul

A little bit down on the right hand side of the page you will see a guy sitting in a chair with headphones on. It's says something like "click here to listen" or something like that. Not sure if you have to load a special player or not (I don't think so though) it's been so long since I've done it.
Once you click "listen" it will take a few seconds to buffer up and will then begin playing.

It's completely free and they run on a very low budget so sometimes you have to be patient, but it's worth it if you into that type of music.

Food:
smiley-eatdrink020.gif

Baby backs
Spares
Steaks

Music:
smiley-music015.gif

"Cachao" Lopez's "Cuba Linda"
Dizzy Gillepie & United Nations Orchestra
Rosanne Cash's "The List"
Roy Hargrove's "Diamond In The Rough"
St. Germain's "Tourist"
Tito Puente's "Serie Cristal"
Zachary Richard's "Snake Bite Love" + "Lumiere dans le noir"
Miles Davis' "Big Fun" + "Tutu"
Mama's and the Papa's' "If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears"
...and anything by Charlie Parker
Evening hours: Recordings of Ron Cuzner's Dark Side

Booze:
smiley-eatdrink048.gif

Tanqueray Gin
Molasses Reef & Key Lime Pirate's Rum

Beer:
smiley-eatdrink001.gif

Miller High Life
Dos Equis Amber
Sol
Supper Club

Mr. Lampe -

Smoke Day. Smoke Day. Smoke Day. I'm doing Smoke Day on Sunday this year. Email me if you want to stop over for a snack. May 30 at the Great Lakes Eataway.

Jim

Food: Spares, chicken, shrimp, and whatever beef item is on sale next week.

Music: Pandora radio, so what ever comes up.

Booze: Homemade red wine, homemade hard cider (hopefully) and Evan Williams.

Beer: Homebrewed Belgium Farmhouse ale (6.9% ABV), should be finished carbing in the fermenter this Sunday.

In the next week I have two chapters and one article to read, two two-page papers due by Thursday, and one 8-page paper due Sunday which I still have to research for. Hopefully I'll have everything done by the weekend to have a stress free long weekend or else the only fun day will be Monday. Will hopefully be brewing again if all goes well.

Originally posted by Pete B:

This year it'll be Paul Thorn, Ray and the Detonators, Delbert McClinton, Lee Roy Parnell, the Radio Kings, T Graham Brown, Sleepy Joe Lee, Levon Helm, Bonnie Bishop, Dick50 and the BoDeans.

How about you?

Great taste in music! Throw in some Joe Ely and a little Watermelon Slim. I need to check out a few of those you've mentioned, but Paul Thorn and Delbert are always on the playlist around here.

Let's see,I posted the SD/MD menu on the SD thread. So far as music goes,we'll probably just turn on the radio. I have a pretty wide and eclectic taste in music. I really can listen to almost everything (no opera,dance music or hip hop). As far as adult beverages go,I like beer. Bud select is a good every day one. I've been known to enjoy a PBR or yuengling on occassion. If I see a nice micro brewed ale that looks interesting,I'll pick up a sixer. For a more potent punch,I'm just a blue collar guy. I like Jack or Jim straight up. Nothing fancy!

Last minute plans have us going to my sister's place in the Outer Banks. Gonna be a lot of seafood, Corona's, Jimmy Buffett, and homemade margaritas. Corona isn't my favorite beer, but at the beach, they hit the spot. I'll have to pass on the WSM for this Smoke Day, but they've got a silver kettle down there, so I'll be cooking with fire.

Bought a chuck roast at Costco to try "pulled beef". Not sure of the sides, but there will be some ABTs included somewhere....

Music will be all over the place - Grateful Dead, Buddy Guy, Delbert McClinton, Old Crow Medicine Show, The Devil Makes Three, Red Foley, Doobies, Marshall Tucker, Uncle Tupelo (Son Volt & Wilco) and more.

Adult beverages - Stone IPA, Widmer's Broken Halo, Red Hook's Longhammer and ESB, Fat Tire and some Maker's Mark.

It's gonna be a fun day....

Back