12V Stoker Power Supply

Aaron Moore

Probably a dumb question but it has never stopped me before....

I want to upsize my fan for the stoker, the little 5CFM is a little undersized for my smoker. I have a 12V DC fan is there any issue with hooking the stoker up to 12V? I thought the unit was 5V but they (Rock's) sells a 12V power supply....I'm not gonna fry the stoker unit by hooking up a 12V power supply am I?

-Aaron

I can't find any information about a 12 volt power supply. Normally, if you have a 5 volt device, powering it with 12 volt would seriously damage it. So I would not try it unless someone confirms that the upgraded power supply from John is actually 12 volts.

Rock does (did?) kind of have a 12V power supply - but it was 12V input and 5V output so you could run the Stoker off a car battery. I'm afraid you'd need to convert from the output voltage to 12V for your fan and given that you'd need to check the specs on current draw (including the voltage conversion losses) or risk frying something in the Stoker unit itself I'd say it's probably not worth it.

However, you could get a relay and a second 12V power supply just for the fan - that would protect the Stoker (and allow you to run a much longer cable between the Stoker and the fan if that floats your boat). I have this setup connected to a lightbulb to use the Stoker to control a proofing box for sourdough.

Remember that no matter what you do, you'll need one of Rock's blower ends for the Stoker to be able to address the fan properly, there is no dedicated fan port and it's all a shared bus. You can snip the end off your existing fan (including many dead fans if you want to look for donations), buy a new fan, or if you contact Rock directly he'll sell you a pigtail.

The Stoker operates on 5VDC so if you supply it with 12VDC you will probably damage it. Like Jeff said use a 5VDC relay which switches an auxilairy power supply for your 12VDC fan.

Buy a bigger fan from John (Rock's Bar-B-Que) so that you don't fry the control unit.

As Jeff said, the 12V thing that is sold for the Stoker is still only sending the unit 5V.

Back