Unicorn/Magnum Pepper Mills

We have the salt and pepper ones. Love the Pepper (have the magnum plus) but hate the Salt mill. The salt grinding mechanism has nylon grinding gears that keep it from rusting but also wear down very quickly.

I can't recommend the pepper mills enough though.

I've had the Magnum PLUS for 5 years or longer and like it for the prep area when a "grind" or several of pepper is called for, say, less than 10 grinds. I do find that I have to often tighten the adjustment underneath when the pepper grind starts to creep to a coarser grind. Anyone else have that problem?

In my opinion, the regular-size magnum is a good table-size mill.

I've had the #5 (11") brass Atlas mill with the receiving cup for more than 20 years and love it. It really puts out the pepper and is especially convenient when measuring teaspoons, tablespoons, and larger amounts of ground pepper. The crank top makes for a faster and more wrist-friendly grind than the top of the Magnum Plus. I never have to re-adjust the grind size unless to change the coarseness.

The Magnum Plus is more convenient to use on a regular basis because it stands up. With the Atlas, you have to lay the grinder section down when you separate the cup from it for either measuring or grinding. In the old days before getting the Magnum Plus, I just used to leave the Atlas on the counter for occasional grinding until I was finished cooking, then popped the cup back on to stand it up.

They both hold a lot of peppercorns.

The brass has held up well. I recommend Red Bear Brass Polish for upkeep. It's a handsome piece.

http://www.peppermillimports.c...lls_and_grinders.htm

I did have about a 9-inch Atlas mill with the flared bottom before our condo burned to the ground in '09 and took it and a nice Weber with it. It did not have a receiving cup but it was a nice addition to a smaller kitchen and ground the pepper very well. I'd suggest a larger size for everyday cooking, though.

Rita

I'm going w/ the Magnum Plus.

Rita, I'm putting the Atlas brass mill on the list for future purchase. Sorry to hear about the fire - hope everyone was able to get out safely.

Thanks to all for your comments!

Thank you Search feature!

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000CFB4N/tvwb-20

Wish me luck. My battery powered mill isn't working so well after 5 years, so I got the $16 OXO mill last week & it just doesn't meet my needs (didn't feed well, but had a really nice fine grind....it just won't crank it out steadily for 1-3 tbsp without shaking it).

I'll update after I have some experience with it. I wound up putting 1 T of peppercorns in my mini-prep food processor last night when making some potato salad.

I have the 9" Atlas Brass pepper mill, and the 8" Chrome salt mill. I highly recommend them you you get around to it. Both have the flared base.

Magnum Plus has always been a good grinder, it was Cook's Illustrated's top recommended model back in the day. I don't use mine as much as I should...lately I've been buying pre-ground 16-mesh black pepper for Texas brisket...as if I can grow up and be Aaron Franklin someday. :D

I have the 9" Atlas Brass pepper mill, and the 8" Chrome salt mill. I highly recommend them you you get around to it. Both have the flared base.

I'm afraid I might break the salt mill but I'll definitely look into it... I have a bunch of Himalayan sea salt about the size of rock salt (~1/8" or so), it's tough to use so a lot of the time I end up just using kosher salt.

Edit: Here's what I've been using since 6/2015: OXO Lua Salt Mill - no real complaints

Magnum Plus has always been a good grinder, it was Cook's Illustrated's top recommended model back in the day. I don't use mine as much as I should...lately I've been buying pre-ground 16-mesh black pepper for Texas brisket...as if I can grow up and be Aaron Franklin someday. :D

I'll have to come back for that pre-ground sometime........... I'll see how this works.

Last edited:
Clint, I don't see how you can break this salt grinder unless you really try. I have been using the OXO salt grinder for about 8 months and I am very pleased with it. It "holds" the grind setting very nicely so far. I use it for coarse and "crunch" settings mostly, but often the fine setting too. Quite reliable. I use Himalayan pink sea salt in it. I just bought a second one to use at the table.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/oxo-good-grips-reg-salt-and-pepper-grinders/120838

This link is for each of both of them. They can be purchased separately, especially at the brick & mortar store.

Be sure to use the BBB 20% off coupon if you have one. Questions? Ask.

Rita

Last edited:
Break them? I don't have those but mine: there is a square shaft fixed to the bottom grinder part. Made of aluminum. The rotating top part is plastic (where the shaft fits through to attach to the handle). Constant rotation rounds off the square plastic hole. Eventually the square shaft rotates in a round hole and no more ground spices. Try to get grinders that have a lifetime guarantee. Mine have one and I've used that warranty twice now in 5 yr ;)

Last edited:
I've used my Magnum plus for years. Can't ever see a reason to want something different.

Mine was delivered yesterday - I haven't adjusted the coarseness yet as it seem just about perfect (like Chris's screened pepper he linked, I think). I mixed up A Butt Rub (for Jane) a few minutes ago & I think it took ~30 eighth-twists to kick out a little over 1 T. I like it so far

I have had a Magnum for a good many years and think it is a very good grinder. However, the sliding section covering the fill hole kept sliding open while I was grinding and the peppercorns would spill out. (Those little peppercorns have quite a bounce to them and once almost turned my kitchen floor into a skating rink.) I never got around to contacting them about it - this problem made Cook's change their mind about recommending it. Maybe I'll drop them a line to see if there is a fix for it.

Hmmm, Franklin Allingham. Has a certain "ring" to it, doesn't it?

Having been thru several over the years I was in need of a new 1 3 weeks ago,bought a oxo and so far its the best 1 I have had,will report back in a year or so unless it breaks before then lol

I have had a Magnum for a good many years and think it is a very good grinder. However, the sliding section covering the fill hole kept sliding open while I was grinding and the peppercorns would spill out. (Those little peppercorns have quite a bounce to them and once almost turned my kitchen floor into a skating rink.) I never got around to contacting them about it - this problem made Cook's change their mind about recommending it. Maybe I'll drop them a line to see if there is a fix for it.

Hmmm, Franklin Allingham. Has a certain "ring" to it, doesn't it?

I read that in the review of the next size smaller, a left handed woman (I think) posted in her review how the door would open sometimes.... I opened mine when a friend asked "what's that for" last night and some started spilling out. I bet it took more than 6oz pepper corns to fill the thing.
edit:>>>> she said that the larger sized one fixed that issue for her.

And not to toot Chris' horn too much, but as much as I like Franklin, I doubt I'll ever learn as much from him........ Chris has been a great influence on my & countless others cooking (thx again Chris). I followed his rec's since before I got my WSM in 2006 (and joined in the madness here 3 years later - good times!)

Having been thru several over the years I was in need of a new 1 3 weeks ago,bought a oxo and so far its the best 1 I have had,will report back in a year or so unless it breaks before then lol

I tried cranking on my oxo again this morning & it seems to feed well on the coarser settings, but too fine it didn't seem to like. I had to laugh - cleaning my kitchen a little today I found a pepper mill I've been using as a salt mill, a tall salt shaker I'd forgotten about, 2 other pepper mills......... Real smart guy I am :) The battery powered unit I have that's been spitting out chunks of pepper corns - looks like the grinder is plastic & is either damaged (after some years) or has something stuck in it causing it to be a little off center.

Last edited:
Clint, I couldn't agree with you more about Chris's impact on our barbecuing education and our enjoyment of the community he has built over so many years.

I bought my WSM in August of 1987, so we're coming up on our 30th anniversary. I'll have to start planning a celebration dinner menu.

Rita

:D - A hearty laugh from here, but from the heart, after observing during my 16 years of being a member.

Lady Allingham also should be hugely thanked for giving you so much time with us.

Rita

Back