Smoked Bologna

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
This adds a twist and a lot of flavor to ordinary bologna.

2lb Beef Bologna Ring (Ask for it in the Deli Dept of your local grocery store if you don't have a good Deli available)
Yellow Mustard
Your favorite rub

Scored the bologna and rub with mustard and then a liberal coating of rub

Smoke indirect at 225* for approximately 2 hours or until a nice crust has formed on the outside. Cool, wrap in plastic wrap and refridgerate overnight for best results.

IMG_0027-1.jpg
IMG_0033-1.jpg
IMG_0039.jpg
IMG_0041-1.jpg
IMG_0042-1.jpg

I'm confused. Are you saying if you can't find bologna like this to ask for ring? When I think of ring I'm thinking link style. Also this seems larger circumference then regular sandwich bologna. Any help would be great cause this looks awesome and I wanna make it soon.

Originally posted by Jason Ray:
I'm confused. Are you saying if you can't find bologna like this to ask for ring? When I think of ring I'm thinking link style. Also this seems larger circumference then regular sandwich bologna. Any help would be great cause this looks awesome and I wanna make it soon.
Jason, Think Oscar Meyer B O L O G N A, unsliced. This might help. Scroll down to Smoked Bologna.

Originally posted by Jason Ray:

Jason it's the big piece that the deli's slice off of to get the slices.

Uhmmmm, I have never heard of or thought of smoked bologna. I have fried it and slapped it between two pieces of wonder bread, and that is tasty. Is this regional? What have I been missing?

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.... too many choices!
Gary

Originally posted by Gary Bramley:
Is this regional?
Gary, Not sure about regional, but Chris has had this posted in the other meats cat for several years now. I've never done it but always wanted too. I just always forget to do one when I have the WSM going. It's on the same lines as a fattie. Just something different to do while your cooking. I often sit there and think what can I put on there while that butt is cooking. Guess that's how the fattie and smoked bologna were born.
icon_biggrin.gif

I made a 2.5 lb'er today. I cheated and tasted it after it came out. Tasted good can't wait to see tomorrow how it tastes. I'll be making more for sure!!!

I did a 2# chunk just last weekend. I quartered it and rub it all over. When done and cooled, sliced in 1/4" slices. GREAT with cheese & crackers, and an adult beverage of your choice !! Red-neck appetizers.

Originally posted by B. Kaylor:
Red-neck appetizers.
When I saw the Red-Neck I though you were going to say, Red-Neck Steak.
icon_biggrin.gif

Been wanting to make this for years, and never have. I so have to do this one of these days.

I do the same thing with a ham loaf! The ham loaf already cooked(like bologna).. Score it, rub with yellow mustard, lots of rub, more mustard, finally add some brown sugar on top and gently rub. It will be gooey but smoke in pan with a little beer or juice! Yum..

I know a lot of people will turn their noses up at this, but it works VERY well with Spam.Completely changes the flavor. Good stuff

Ben

I get a good beef bologna sliced about 1/2 - 5/8" thick. Rub it and do a quick grill. With some grilled onions, jalapeno peppers, a nice slice of cheddar or muenster cheese, and my favorite, imported from Cleveland, Stadium Mustard, it makes a great sandwich.

If you are wondering what the hype is all about, smoked baloney tastes like a hot dog only better. It's worth a try.

I am giving this a shot tonight. I'll wrap and cool it tonight and have it for dinner with family tomorrow. Update to follow.

This is a staple in Okalhoma. When we moved to Kansas City people thought we were crazy for wanting smoked bologna. Buy it from the deli like mentioned. Score it all around, slather in mustard and rub, then onto the smoker for 3-4 hours. I use hickory/apple or hickory/cherry. It needs a fruit wood. Only two chunks. It takes up smoke like poultry. We have a meat slicer to shave it thin for sandwiches or I cube it burnt end style.

Back