I'm getting a stoker for my Christmas present

Jeff T Miller

TVWBB All-Star
Yea I know it is late, but I always say better late than never.
icon_wink.gif

Question is they now have a 10 cfm blower. I have been wanting a stoker for a while now and was complaining to myself that I'm not sure the 5 cfm would be enough. The moment of truth is here. They now offer 10 cfm and I am ready to buy.

Here is the question, Would a 5 cfm blower be enough for a Magnum? I am sure it would be fine for the wsm but was thinking it may be on the edge for the magnum. I use 2 magnums during the warmer months and just the wsm during winter. The $60 upgrade isn't so bad but if I reason it is necessecary then it is actually $120 since I am getting dual model. Now it is getting expensive.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the 5 cfm being able to handle the magnum.

I think the 5 cfm would still be more than enough.
I know people have been using the 4 & 5 cfm on much larger smokers than the WSM with no problems.
I am afraid you would blow ashes all over with a 10 cfm every time the fan kicked on without dampening it down.
I can't see that the Magnum would take much more air to keep the heat up than a standard WSM

Randy is right. Keep in mind that the blower is NOT proporational (i.e. variable speed). Rather, it starts and stops. This means you go from sufficating the fire to feeding it air. This will cause more fluctuations in the fire.

With a smaller blower, the difference between on and off is not as large so it doesn't create as big of a problem.

When my fan is blowing, it pushes far, far more air than my smoker does with convection. So to to the extent your smoker runs without a blower, then a 5 cfm should be plenty....

Amir,
Do you know if there is any plan to incorporate PWM or some other type fan speed control on future firmware upgrades to the Stoker? I believe this is a feature on the DigiQ II Guru, and makes a lot of sense for maintianing low temps.

Steve

I asked about PWM controller but Rock said he didn't think it was necessary. So no, I don't think he will add it.

Maybe more people should provide such feedback. So many times I have seen stoker turn off the blower and let the fire almost die, then try so hard to revive the flames again.

If I ever design my own controller, it would be to add this feature.

Back