My new Smokey Joe Platinum

Curtis

Just received my new Smokey Joe Platinum. Really excited that I was able to find one! Ended up finding it on CL, new in box.

2zqtovb.jpg

Great score, curtis! I've only used mine once. Added a WSM 3-hole vent in the bottom to help with high temps. Keep yours as is (without mods) first and see how it works for you.

Congrats!

Ended up paying $65 plus shipping for it. Little expensive, but hey - it's new and I couldn't find one used.

IMHO that is a good price since I paid $49.99 for mine at ACE Hardware and that does not include tax. For a hard to find gril that is NIB I think you did good on the price.

So is the temp workable in this original vent setup? I just got a free SJP from a friend and was wondering about the ventilation and temp control.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenA:
So is the temp workable in this original vent setup? I just got a free SJP from a friend and was wondering about the ventilation and temp control. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I open "all three" (I added a 3 hole damper at the bottom when I want/need to cook high temp and, collectively, the three work good enough for me.

I didn't care about originality or the impact modifying the lower bowl would have on resale price or anything of that nature - I just wanted higher temps. To be honest, it wouldn't hurt to have 2 of the small, 3-hole WSM vents on the bottom, for extended (over an hour) high temp cooks.

What most people do is find an 18 inch OTS cheap on CL, shorten the legs and add bungee cords to simulate the Jumbo Joe lid straps, then use that as their portable mid-sized Weber (see thread --> http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...0039023/m/6451081836 ). Doesn't look as neat and clean as the JJ/SJ Platinum, but has some distinct advantages:

1. Better airflow for sustained high temp cooking, and overall higher temperatures.
2. Easy to find replacement cooking grates without mods. Even some aftermarket CI grates fit.
3. Can easily convert back into regular OTS.

One great advantage of leaving the Jumbo Joe as is, is that if you can find a Pro-Q Stacker you could double it up as a WSM on the cheap.

Thanks for the info, I did notice that the standard 18.5 replacement grates dont fit right which jives with what you were saying. I will try it out to see if it can work for my camp grill. If not, I have the SJS to fall back on.

Back