Plastic barrel wind break

Ummm hey Milt? There is a funny looking guy growing out of the top of your smoker!
icon_biggrin.gif
Love the idea. I'm gonna steal it if you don't mind.

I'll have to find one of those. I'm using a split metal drum now, but it'll be cool to just lift the barrel off for door access and not have to use duct tape to seal the seam.

Thought about using a surplus wool blanket draped over the top? I keep on saying I'm gonna pick one up when I'm near a surplus store, as I hear you'll really save some charcoal in the wind and cold.

Milt.
I like that idea, but it might be a little to tight for me.
Does the lid for your 22.5 kettle fit inside the barrel? Just curious because that's the diameter of my 18.5 WSM with handles.

Tim

Dave,
I have done three cooks with the barrel and temp control and charcoal usage are good. Right now I do not think additional insulation is needed.
Tim, I am away from home for the weekend and will not be able to check the fit of the 22.5 lid until next week.
Milt

Originally posted by Milt DuCharme:
Dave,
I have done three cooks with the barrel and temp control and charcoal usage are good. Right now I do not think additional insulation is needed.

Needed, no. However, there must be something to a wool blanket when you see Myron Mixon throwing 'em on his cooker in strong cold winds. Of course, a BGE user might say, "What da ya mean by ADDITIONAL insulation? WHAT insulation?!" lol...

Merry Christmas!

Tim,
The lid from my 22.5" kettle will not fit inside the barrel. I have handles on the midsection of my 18.5" WSM. They stick out one inch from the midsection on each side and the barrel fits over them.
Milt

Milt. Thanks for the follow up. Yea the brackets I made for the Weber handles run out at about 2". I did a Google search on 55 gal drum diameters and that came up at 23 - 23 1/2 ". But now that I think about it, all the UDS or drum smokers that I've seen use a 22.5" lid over the barrel.
Oh well, I still like your idea!
Thanks.

Tim

Milt

great idea.

I'm wondering if high winds might cause the plastic barrel to want ot overturn ?

Have you done anything to secure the barrel once it's placed over the WSM ???

Thanks

John,
I have used the barrel four times now and the wind has not been a factor. If I need to I plan to put on three L shaped feet pointing out that can be weighed down with bricks.

Back