No recipe for refried beans!

Chris Notarpole

TVWBB Member
I thought for sure I could come on this site and find a really good recipe for refried beans! Anyone have one they would like to share?

Thanks

Hmm, I usually make a batch of red beans and cook them down until thick and dry and put a scoop in a pan with a generous helping of bacon grease.

see if you can get a hold of a basic red or pinto bean recipe to work from.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Notarpole:
I thought for sure I could come on this site and find a really good recipe for refried beans! Anyone have one they would like to share?

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm a mexican from L.A. so i think i can answer this one
icon_smile.gif
I learned this one from my grandma who was from mexico and use to make us home made flour tortillas and these beans every morning with eggs, yum yum, but she didn't make the beans everyday, just a big batch and we would kill it in a matter of days.

(MOST IMPORTANT STEP IS TO PUT THE BEANS IN YOUR POT AND WASH THEM THROUGHLY. POUR WATER UNTILL IT COVERS THE BEANS AND WITH YOUR HANDS MOVE THE BEANS AROUND YOU WILL SEE THE WATER GET DIRTY,(DUMP WATER AND REPEAT) DO THIS UNTILL THE WATER NO LONGER GETS DIRTY WHILE YOU MOVE THE BEANS AROUND, THIS IS THE DIFFERENCE OF A CLEAN TASTING REFRIED BEAN TO A UNDESIRABLE ONE. (if you clean them right your water should look like a nice light brown color, if you did it wrong your water will be dark brown.)

1. First cook the pinto beans in a big pot, you may soak overnight to speed up the process but they taste the same no matter which way you go. Make sure you cover the pot with a lid. (low to med flame) low is good as you will minimize the water leakage from the lid.(refill water as needed, you have to keep checking your water cause you will lose it while cooking) check every 20-30 min.

2. Second you may toss in a whole white onion and some garlic but i would wait till the beans start to get soft before you do.

3. The beans are done when you bite into one and it's soft, at this point you need to drain the water out of the pot but don't dump it cause your going to use it to thin out the beans later. (turn off burner)

4. Now that you have a pot of hot water free beans, get you farmer john manteca (lard)and in a small pan set the flame to high and put a couple of heaping scoops into the pot (sorry this is were preference comes into play, i don't have a exact measurement for this part) this is where the "refried" comes into play. At this point (this is a option if you like spicy beans, throw 3 Serrano's into the oil and let them cook the oil will absorb the heat and transform it into the beans).

5. Now turn the heat on high on the beans in the pot as soon as the lard is really hot, take the lard off the stove and pour all of it (chilies too) in the beans, (stand a little back cause there is going to be some poping) once the lard is in the pot get out your bean smasher and go to work. As you smash away add the water that we cook the beans in to control the thinkness of the beans, (go ahead and turn the burner to med to low at this point once most of the beans are smash) i like mine a little on the thin side but it's up to you. Just make sure that onion you put in at the late stages is soft, the chile,onion, and garlic will smash into the beans and you won't even notice them. Now when you got your thinkness down time to add the salt, be careful here to take your time to add a little at a time cause once you get it too salty you will be **** for the time and effort you just put in. Salt to taste.

6. Put in the fridge and use with egg's in the morning and/or bean and cheese burritos or with what ever.

Mark is right, this is the authentic refried bean recipe. I like to use pickled jalapeno's instead of serranos, and i put the beans into the lard instead of vice versa. (vegetable shortening works well too, bacon drippings have been discouraged by purists and for good reason, it overwhelms the natural flavor of the beans)

Put a dab of sour cream or any white rich cheese to add contrast, simple enough for the peasant but luxurious enough for a queen!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jarrod S.:
Mark is right, this is the authentic refried bean recipe. I like to use pickled jalapeno's instead of serranos, and i put the beans into the lard instead of vice versa. (vegetable shortening works well too, bacon drippings have been discouraged by purists and for good reason, it overwhelms the natural flavor of the beans)

Put a dab of sour cream or any white rich cheese to add contrast, simple enough for the peasant but luxurious enough for a queen! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>my family uses bacon drippings for both the beans and tamales, every time I cook bacon I have to strain it into the can and return it to the fridge.

and yeah THEY are first gen from Mexico

My refried beans(if you want to call them that)are real simple, Its just beans and a little bean juice in a pan and mash them with a potato masher then add a little chili powder and cumin.

Ditto. I've never 'made' refried beans. In Mexico I never saw anyone make them either. Like me, they simply make beans in whatever way they feel like with whatever is at hand and eat them that way. Leftovers get fridged then reheated - sometimes by 'refrying', sometimes not - for meals later in the day, but the initial cook is just a pot of beans destined to be eaten - originally - straight out of the pot.

Back