Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Iron Skillet Baked Potato

TVWBB All-Star
    says the explorer of lost posts!

TVWBB Super Fan Ted M (FatEddy)'s Avatar
    I made these tonight. I used about 1/2 Tbs. butter. 375 for about 25 mins...Still were very firm. Jumped up to 425. They done by 45 mins tootal time. Salted and peppered before adding to the pan. They were good. Next time I think I'll try some rub.
    Thanks,
    Ted

TVWBB Pro
    Made these tonight on the grill. 350-375 indirect on a 10" cast iron skillet for an hour with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil and garlic butter. Superb, this is a winner and a regular on the menu now!

Thanks!
    14" WSM (AH) 22" WSM (AU) 26" One-Touch Gold (AA) 22" Red Custom Buffalo Bills One-Touch (EO) Jumbo Joe 18" (AH)

TVWBB Emerald Member
    Mike, when you cooked these potatoes on the grill, did you put them directly on the grates, or did you put the iron skillet full of potatoes on the grill?

I haven't seen a post from Dean Torges in about 4 years and he has been missed. His posts were always interesting and informative. Hope he is well.

Dean suggests using a heavyweight cookie sheet. If yours are on the thin side, you might try double-panning two cookie sheets.

Also, to facilitate browning, one could preheat a pizza stone while the oven preheats (for at least 1/2 hour, preferably longer) and put the cookie sheet on top of that.

Randy's suggestion of using the Reynolds nonstick foil sounds like a great idea; it might even work in an iron skillet that might not be too well seasoned.

Rita

TVWBB Pro
    Hi Rita. I edited my original post to mention that I used a cast iron skillet to cook the potatoes.
    14" WSM (AH) 22" WSM (AU) 26" One-Touch Gold (AA) 22" Red Custom Buffalo Bills One-Touch (EO) Jumbo Joe 18" (AH)

TVWBB Emerald Member
    Thanks Mike. I've noted that information. I'm anxious to try the potatoes in a few days.
    Rita

TVWBB Pro
    Rita,
    Sometimes I parboil the whole potatoes and then slice then in half. I cook then open side down in the skillet on the grill with just a little evoo and a selection of spices. Sometimes I finish then open side down on the actual grill grate over direct heat to get the best crust.

Mike
    Smokin and Grillin my way of Chillin
    Genesis EP-320, 18 WSM, 14.5 WSM, Brick Red Performer

TVWBB Emerald Member
    Thanks, Mike. I've grilled spice-rubbed & olive-oiled long thick slabs of both cooked and raw baking potatoes on the grill grate but for some reason never tried a half potato. I'm expecting a crustier finish from a skillet than from the grill grate. I'll see in a couple of days.

Rita

Sorry but noob question time. Should the skillet be direct on the coals or indirect?
    Performer 26er Platinum I 1200
    Maverick ET-732, mega-super-uber fast (Red) Thermapen

TVWBB Emerald Member Rolf Jacobsen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G Savrnoch View Post
    Sorry but noob question time. Should the skillet be direct on the coals or indirect?
    I typically go with a high indirect, 30 to 45 minutes. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast