Grill Markability w/ Weber WSM grill grate

danmarks

TVWBB Fan
Those of you that grill w/ your WSM, does the grill grate give you satisfactory grill marks? I'm impressed by the thickness of the Stainless still rods used but I doubt it gives nice looking marks.

If grill marking prospects are better via a Weber Kettle than a WSM, I'll settle for adding a kettle to my arsenal.

The WSM grate is the same as the 18-1/2" Weber Kettle grate, so the grate design or construction is not the issue. It's just a matter of getting the charcoal close enough to the grate to be able to grill. If you do that, the grill marks will follow.

See Grilling on the Weber Bullet for several popular options.

Regards,
Chris

Dan are your grates actually stainless steel? My One Touch Gold just has chrome plated steel and the charcoal grate is just raw steel.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Weber sells stainless steel replacement grates </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah!
icon_cool.gif
I'll take stainless over stock any day. That's why I asked. Actually I'd prefer cast iron but I haven't had any luck finding those aftermarket. The price isn't bad on the SS.

Grab the stainless, then find a cast iron grate that'll fit, and just plop it on
icon_smile.gif

Maybe one half of the genesis/spirit one?

Back