Starting a team, need help with the name

Tim W

TVWBB Member
So one of my goals in 2011 is to give competition bbq a try. I've given some thought to my team name. I searched for the name under KCBS's website and bbqteamname.com. They weren't listed on the KCBS website. At bbqteamname.com, the team name that I was looking for shows up as "[name] BBQ". I was thinking of doing "[name] Barbecue". Is that too similar?

I googled the team; I found their profile on myspace. It doesn't appear they've been active on myspace and competition since 2009; not so much that it matters. What do you think?

to me my team name is part of who I am, my identity. I thought a long time about it. I think if your idea is as close as bbq vs. barbecue I would keep looking for another name.
know what I mean? good luck.

I can completely understand the concept of identity. The backup idea was to use "[name] Smokers" instead. The "[name]" part of it is a common word such as "Schoolbus". Thanks for the input.

"Schoolbus Smokers" I don't know. You may get into hot water with the local PTA. I did the same thing that you are doing when I picked my team name. With so many teams out there it's hard to get a name that fits you and is unique.Keep hunting it will come to you.

Happy Comps

Mark

Tim,I don't comp,but I've almost always referred to my pulled pork as "Phil-b-q". Maybe you could do "Tim-b-q" or "The Smoking W's" or something along that line. Keep it simple and personal.

I know for a fact that Comp BBQers do not like their names copied. I have some friends that are having this done to them and they arent too thrilled about it. I for one do not blame them.

How about,
Lotta Oink, Cold Smoke, Doctor Barbecue, Perry Sisters & Sons, Cue-owl, Cancer Sucks Cleveland, Pallet Envy. See what I mean?
icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mk evenson:
"Schoolbus Smokers" I don't know. You may get into hot water with the local PTA. I did the same thing that you are doing when I picked my team name. With so many teams out there it's hard to get a name that fits you and is unique.Keep hunting it will come to you.

Happy Comps

Mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Better try to butter them up with some good bbq then..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Perrin:
Tim,I don't comp,but I've almost always referred to my pulled pork as "Phil-b-q". Maybe you could do "Tim-b-q" or "The Smoking W's" or something along that line. Keep it simple and personal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd love to call it Tim-B-Q!.. but I think the rest of my team might have an issue with it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dale Perry:
I know for a fact that Comp BBQers do not like their names copied. I have some friends that are having this done to them and they arent too thrilled about it. I for one do not blame them.

How about,
Lotta Oink, Cold Smoke, Doctor Barbecue, Perry Sisters & Sons, Cue-owl, Cancer Sucks Cleveland, Pallet Envy. See what I mean?
icon_razz.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dale.. I can completely see where you're coming from with your examples. In fairness though, the examples were of fairly unique names that would be hard to pull off without sounding as if it were being copied.

Anyways, I guess our search continues.

As a team with two lawyers we wanted so badly to call our team "Habeus Porkus" but alas, it was already taken by someone, somewhere.

We moved on. Let your food speak more than your name does anyway...

My examples were all in jest. My jokes might not be funny to others but i admit, I crack myself up.

I got 3 names picked out if the Perry Brothers ever depart.

I didn't find anything funny about it!!!
icon_rolleyes.gif

my suggestion if you like a certain name, then add your state or your hometown to it. I know that KCBS is trying to steer teams away from Smoke, Smokers, Smokey or any names that are similiar like that.

Scottie
cancersuckschicago.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dale Perry:
My examples were all in jest. My jokes might not be funny to others but i admit, I crack myself up.

I got 3 names picked out if the Perry Brothers ever depart. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, all good Dale. I probably used the wrong smiley face! Heck the way things are going in KCBS, folks can use my name all they want! I need ToY points!!! lol
icon_smile.gif

see you in Louisville!

How about,
icon_razz.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats kinda what I was talking about. I love Pallet Envy..too funny.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I know that KCBS is trying to steer teams away from Smoke, Smokers, Smokey or any names that are similiar like that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why is that? I haven't heard this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Henderson:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I know that KCBS is trying to steer teams away from Smoke, Smokers, Smokey or any names that are similiar like that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why is that? I haven't heard this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think to try and avoid complications with the TOY points...they cant stop you from using a "common name" , I personally wouldnt want to go by a name taken by another team. the kcbs does have a statment about this on their site..

Maybe I didn't understand what Scottie was saying. So KCBS doesn't have a problem with a reference to smoke, but are saying that team names should be differentiated by more than changing, "Chain Smokers" to "Chain Smokey," or "Chain Smoke?"

Sal, do you have a link to the KCBS statement? I looked around the website last evening, but didn't see it.

KCBS doesn't care so much about common words. It's similiar names. Majority of teams had Smoke or some variation on it. KCBS wants teams to add your hometwon or state to the name to distinguish it from all of the other teams that have Smoke in their names. ie Iowa Smokey D's added Iowa, because there were already a good chunk of teams using Smokey as part of their name. So if you are from New Mexico. they would prefer New Mexico Smokers Wild.

Back