Problems with Weber Q ignition

Jay Yurine

TVWBB Member
Has anyone experienced a problem with lighting their Q? I have some problems the last several times using it. It will intermittently light upon depressing the red button. It will always light manually, so I believe the problem must lie in the ignition system. I don't see any pattern to the failure to light. Wind condition has not been bad.

I called Weber C.S., and of course, they sent me a couple of new parts free of charge! Does anyone know how to install a new ignition system? How do you remove the red button? It seems to me that to replace everything, you have to remove the red button. I haven't called Weber for instruction yet, but I hope to hear from some of the forum posters.

I've replaced the igniter on the Genesis model but I don't have a Q. Weber will walk you through the process. Their reps have a model of each grill where they are located and can literally go from part to part with you on the phone - at least that happened to me once.

Paul

Jay,
I have a BabyQ and also have had intermittent problems with ignitiion, but for me I don't think it is the ignitor button itself.

My manual has nothing in it about how to replace the ignitor, but it does not look that difficult, as it appears the ignitor button is threaded through the lower grill housing via a fitting. Once the threaded connection is unthreaded and the wires from the ignitor are disconnected it should come apart.

I learned by trial and error starting per the manual what I think is an acceptable solution if the ignitor is not functioning properly. The manual directions tells you to open the lid, check to see the control knob is off, then turn the control knob to START/HI and press the ignitor button several times. Following that sequence it did not always start. I would turn the knob to off and wait the 5 minutes to clear gas in the burners and grill. The burner lit successfuIly for me using that method only a couple of times.

From that time on, I modified my restart to this sequence and it has worked each time. Check the knob to off with the lid closed, then turn the control knob to START/HI and wait about 30 seconds, open the lid. Once the lid was fully opened, push the ignitor button. It has always started that way and only needed a single click of the ignitor button to start the burner.

Good Luck whatever you decide.

Steve

Thanks for the advice. I can see a spark generated consistently when I press the red button when it's dark outside, so it seems that the ignition is functioning. I'm just not sure how to disconnect the existing wire from the red button.

I'll give your technique a try, so hopefully that'll take care of the problem.

Lighting manually with a lighter isn't that inconvenient.

Hope you got the burner to lite. Now that you know you have the spark, to me your problem is related to how fast the propane expands into the burner. You might want to wait longer than 30 secs after opening the control knob to START/HI. Still don't think you need to mess with the ignitor, but they disconnect at the burner, then you need to unthread the fitting from the housing for a replacement.

Good luck.
Steve

I have a Weber Q. I've discovered when I have a problem lighting the grill, it is because the burner holes are clogged (rust?).

I'm always using a thumbtack to try to ream out the holes, kind of a pain.

The igniter always seems to have spark.

Jay
There is a sheet metal cover over the igniter. What sometimes happens during cleaning is the cover gets bent up and out slightly.
Try bending it down slightly and bending the vertical face to 90 degrees.
The other problem is as noted previously, the holes do get a slight build up in them. The easy way to clear these is to give the burner ring a brush with your brass grill brush.
This should fix all your ignition problems. I have not had to change the igniter on any Q as yet so I can't help you with the instructions as to the best way to do it.
Regards

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thanks for the advice. I can see a spark generated consistently when I press the red button when it's dark outside, so it seems that the ignition is functioning. I'm just not sure how to disconnect the existing wire from the red button. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I scratched my head when trying to remove my igniter for a good cleaning.
I know this is an old post, but this came up doing a google search.
The high tension wire will disconnect from the back side of the igniter (red button unit).
Unscrew the long insulator and you will see where the wire has a dark heat shrink covering the push on terminal. just pull apart. the white wire will also disconnect on that end also.
Now for my caution.
I was disassembling my grill for cleaning and in doing so I broke, or I lost all the spacers that fit between the frame and the bottom kettle. These are to restrict heat transfer to the grill frame and they are very brittle and probably would have broken no matter how careful i was being. I now have to order new ones.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The other problem is as noted previously, the holes do get a slight build up in them. The easy way to clear these is to give the burner ring a brush with your brass grill brush. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I too believe that the burner ring gets dirty and after a good cleaning with the ring removed from the grill will correct the ignition problem, but this brass brush is the most useless item i have ever seen around a grill.
Now a wire brush can be harsh on some grill surfaces and a plane old wire brush will rust so, what I do is go to the fleet farm or a good quality hardware store where welding supplys are sold and most of these stores will sell a stainless steel wire brush. The only caution I would give is be careful because it will clean your grill and you might wear some of the product if you arn't paying attention.
icon_wink.gif

Back