Grilled Shrimp

Bob T.

TVWBB Wizard
My Wifey really likes grilled shrimp. She was at Lone Star steakhouse the other day and liked their shrimp on the skewer. Anyone have anything I can try on the grill? I already have the one with the bacon wrap, but would like to try a few at the same time. May also try the scallops with bacon also.

I use 21-25 ct shrimp, peeled and de-veined (leave the tail on). I brine them for 45 min or so, then rinse them well. Then I make a marinade of 3/4 cup or so of extra virgin olive oil; 1/4 cup chardonnay; 1 Tbl fresh lemon juice; 2 cloves garlic, minced fine or pressed; 2 tsp dried thyme, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp pure vanilla extract; several turns of a peppermill,and toss the shrimp in. I marinate in the fridge about an hour or so.

Get your grill ready; skewer the shrimp, saving the marinade. Heat the marinade in a little pot on low heat with 1/2 a stick of unsalted butter and 2 tsp minced fresh parsley added to it. You want to cook over low heat till the garlic sizzles a little and softens and sweetens; don't let the garlic brown. Grill your shrimp; as soon as they come off the grill, paint the shrimp with the hot marinade.

Serve quickly on warmed plates. Grilled shrimp lose their heat in not time.

Bob,

A few years ago my wife asked me to make shrimp on the grill like some that she had at an Outback restaurant. It took me a few tries but I finally came up with a recipe that she says is better than Outback. I have pasted the recipe below. I usually have large enough shrinp that I don'e even skewer them - just put them on the grill with a long pair of tongs and turn them 1/2 way through cooking. Enjoy!

Ray Crick

Ray’s Grilled Shrimp

1-lb large shrimp

Marinade
2 tbs oil
¼ cup tequila
Juice of 2 limes
½ tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
4 garlic cloves – minced

Ray’s MMHH Sauce (MMHH = Mustard, Mayonnaise, Horseradish, and Honey)
Mix together and chill the following:

5 tsps Grey Poupon mustard
5 tsps mayonnaise
1 tsp prepared horseradish
1 tsp honey

Marinade the shrimp for 1 hour.

Grill shrimp and serve with the sauce.

I like to make up a mixture of soy sauce, fresh lime juice, garlic and ginger in a blender. Marinade the shrimp for 24 hours and grill. They cook quick.
Enjoy
icon_smile.gif

Tahnks for all the replies, The Wifey is looking them over to see what she wants to try first. I think thay all look great.

Another simple one

heat a stick of butter in a small sauce pan until
Add about 1 to 2 teaspoons of curry powder.
Add and stir granulated garlic until just before the mixture thickens up.
simmer for a few minutes. (sure makes the kitchen smell wonderful)

After the shrimp have been skewered, lay them in a pyrex container and pour the mixture over them. you can put them back in the refrigerator and allow the butter to congeal or you can grill them immediately.

Great grilled shrimp. I like to grill in a grill basket or grill plate.

Clean and devein shrimp. I like 20 count or bigger!

Marinate in:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup dry white wine
6-8 cloves of minced fresh garlic
1/4 t. of dry oregeno, basil and cumin.
Salt and pepper.

Grill. Drizzle with melted butter and hit with Old Bay seasoning. Serve and prepare for excessive compliments!

You may want to try Aussie style

Shrimp On The Barbie

13 king prawns, shelled
1/4 cup butter
1 cup orange juice (freshly, squeezed)
2 tablespoons sherry
1 teaspoon orange zest (grated)
2 shallots (tops and white) finely chopped
1 teaspoon fresh ginger (grated)
A pinch of sea salt to taste

Soak thirteen long wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes. Then push skewers through prawns, lengthwise, from head to tail with only 1 to a skewer. Combine remaining ingredients in saucepan and cook over medium to low heat, stirring, until butter is melted. Dip skewered prawns in the orange sauce and position on an oiled grill rack, about 75 - 100 mm (3-4 inches)above the coals. Baste liberally and continually with sauce and grill on medium to medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Turn the prawn over and continue to baste, cooking for another 2 minutes. Test (break in half and eat) one prawns to see if they are cooked. It should be pink on the outside and just turning white in the middle. Remove the remaining prawns from the grill, place on the serving dish and cover with foil - the latent heat will finish cooking the prawns and they will remain moist. Use any remaining sauce for a dip for the prawns.
This dish is ideally served a maximum of 5 - 8 minutes after cooking.

Enjoy

I do 'em with a marinade of oil, lime juice, salt, pepper and garlic, then brush on some Texas Pepper Jelly (pineapple habanero) a minute or two before they come off the grill. Fantastic!

I usually take a pound of large or XL shrimp, shell and de-vein them. I put them into a bowl, add 3-8 cloves of garlic crushed, salt, pepper, oilve oil, white wine, dried red peppers and sit in the fridge over night.
Take skewers and thread the shrimp onto them. Over direct heat w/ some mesquite smoke place the shrimp and cover for about 5 minutes and turn. Cook another 3-5 minutes and serve.

Here in the Carolina's you can find a bbq sauce called Rev. Marvins...it's a mustard style sauce but it isn't sweet. I add 3 tblspns of
honey to a cup of the Rev sauce, and brush the shrimp while grilling. Props to the Prodigal
Finney for the recipe. Simply delicious.
Really goooooood.

Here's one I just discovered after being served some real Creole food recently. Grill any way you want, but hit with Tony Cachere's (sp?) Creole seasoning and melted butter at the end. Careful, it's salty but there's nothing else like it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyone have anything I can try on the grill? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I grill shrimp a couple different ways:

Butterfly and devein but do not peel.
Place on wood or metal skewers (won't be on for long).
Lightly oil and sprinkle with paprika, black pepper, sea salt, Lime pepper, and garlic pepper (yes, it's a lot of pepper) in that order (most to least).
Place skewers on grill and grill till done, turning once.

I like this because it's a U-PEEL-EM recipe where there is tons of spice on your fingers, which makes a fine finger-lickin' treat after popping the nice shrimp.

I also make grilled shrimp served in a citrus-yogurt sauce (choose either pineapple, lemon, or orange):

Grill peeled shrimp with salt, pepper, garlic
Brush with citrus-butter you've made from a bit of the juice while grilling.
Using citrus juice, yogurt, fine zest of the fruit (or a little pulp), and a little orange clover honey, make a smoothie-like sauce to cover shrimp with once they are unskewered and over rice.

Nothing fancy, just good eating.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray Crick:
Bob,

A few years ago my wife asked me to make shrimp on the grill like some that she had at an Outback restaurant. It took me a few tries but I finally came up with a recipe that she says is better than Outback. I have pasted the recipe below. I usually have large enough shrinp that I don'e even skewer them - just put them on the grill with a long pair of tongs and turn them 1/2 way through cooking. Enjoy!

Ray Crick

Ray’s Grilled Shrimp

1-lb large shrimp

Marinade
2 tbs oil
¼ cup tequila
Juice of 2 limes
½ tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
4 garlic cloves – minced

Ray’s MMHH Sauce (MMHH = Mustard, Mayonnaise, Horseradish, and Honey)
Mix together and chill the following:

5 tsps Grey Poupon mustard
5 tsps mayonnaise
1 tsp prepared horseradish
1 tsp honey

Marinade the shrimp for 1 hour.

Grill shrimp and serve with the sauce. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just tried this recipe, one of the first in the thread. I loved the result, and will tinker with the recipe a bit more. I don't use chile powder, and I subbed 1 tsp New Mexico hot red ground chili. I ended up sweetening up the sauce with about double the honey because the dijon seemed to overpower the shrimp. I'll probably marinate a little longer next time to get more of the great tequila/lime flavor into the shrimp, but I found this to be a great one to work with.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Just tried this recipe, one of the first in the thread. I loved the result, and will tinker with the recipe a bit more. I don't use chile powder, and I subbed 1 tsp New Mexico hot red ground chili. I ended up sweetening up the sauce with about double the honey because the dijon seemed to overpower the shrimp. I'll probably marinate a little longer next time to get more of the great tequila/lime flavor into the shrimp, but I found this to be a great one to work with. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Benny,

Glad you liked it. I also sometimes increase the honey.

BTW, my wife loves the MMHH sauce over steamed green beans or asparagus.
Try it.

Ray

I think this might be what you are looking for:

Peel, de-vein, and skewer the shrimp on wooden skewers.
Mix up the seasoning:
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne

Sprinkle shrimp with lemon juice, brush with melted butter, and sprinkle seasoning on shrimp. Place on grill seasoned side down. Brush and season the side that is up. Grill, eat

Steve

Back