? curing belly or buckboard bacon minus sugar

Randy Hill

TVWBB Fan
For dry curing bacon, most every recipe I come across uses some sort of sugar from Honey to maple to brown. I dry cured 15# of belly bacon, half with honey half with brown sugar and TQ. The bacon came out great, but it was on the sweet side. Not complaining about that but because of the sugar there is no way I can figure to cook it to crispy without burning it. I also found I had to fry at a lower temp or chanced burning it.
Question is can I cure the bacon with only TQ or DQ#1 and salt? I read in a couple places that the sugar helps in the curing process by promoting a certain type of bacterial action during the curing process. Thanks

You can cure without sugar entirely or simply cut the amount used. Many recipes you'll find have, imo, way too much sugar. Salt is the main curing agent.

Thanks for the replies. Next time if I put in any sugar I may try a teaspoon per lb. of meat. Last time I used a tablespoon, the bacon was great but was a bit too sweet for my taste and hard to not burn. When I do buckboard I may use more sugar since it will be leaner and will not be trying to make crispy. Thanks again for the replies.

If you omit the sugar all together, the bacon can taste a bit "sharp", or it will lack "finesse", sorry for the lack of better english words.
You can avoid this by using less salt, but I would not recommend using much less than 2,5% of salt in a dry cure, as salt is an important part of the food safety process in cured meats. Low salt content shortens the period where the meat is safe to use.
Also, in bacon, it is an important part of the flavor!

To summarize, experiment with very little sugar added. This will give you better results than omitting it.

Back