22 WSM- fan size/ accessories

SHoff

I am headed toward a stoker for my 22 WSM. What fan size is recommended and are there parts/ accessories for it that anyone would like to point me toward? Thanks.

I have the 22 wsm. Also just ordered Stoker. Everything I've read on this forum says that 5cfm is fine. You'll find lots of posts on this.

I called rock's and asked them the same thing when I was ordering mine. He said The standard 5 cfm Fan was sufficient in runng the 22.5 wsm.
Just remember that you Will need to order your adapter for the wsm at the same time you order your stoker. That way you will get what you need to hook it to your wsm. Order the stoker package for one cooker if you are controlling one cooker and not just the stoker. You are going to want the probes which come with the package and not with just the stoker. You probably already know much of this but thought I would include it just in case. Order it early it seems to be taking around a month for them to build your unit and ship it. I am still waiting on mine
icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the advice. Nice to see two other newbies just like me!

The grommets look like kind of a cool extra to have too.

Using both my Guru DigiQ II and now my Cyber Q II I've used the 10cfm pit viper fan on both my 18" and 22"

I thought about the 5 cfm fan when I was buying my DigiQ but someone out here (or someone in customer service when talking with the Guru folks) suggested that with the 10cfm has the fan cycling less.

Tom. In planning a new system, I am leaning towards a 22.5 WSM with a DigiQ II as a controller. I feel the 10cfm fan is a good match. I also will use my Maverick ET-73 for remote monitoring.
Couple of questions please....will the fan blow ashes on my meat products? I like to cook chicken at 275, so will that temp push the fan enough to keep ashes stirred up a bit in the cooking chamber?
Once the thighs are cooked, I like to glaze them and set the glaze for presentation. Can I beef up the heat in the WSM and get my results, or do you suggest placing the glazed meat over live coals directly to finish them off?
Thanks for the help..MT

Morrey,

You should be fine with a 10CFM. Use the water pan for a deflector.

BTW, at comps we never "smoke" thighs. It's all done 2 hours on a weber kettle in a half pan with butter. we're going to use the Myron method this year (muffin tins) though. We took 3 walks for thighs last year so I'm hoping to improve that.

rob

Back