I no longer have my Weber Grill. This is the story (long)

David Munson

TVWBB Super Fan
It was the cracked burner tube that drove it over the edge. Nothing like watching flames coming out of the burner tube where there should be no hole. Other things that went wrong was the broken bottom cast aluminum box. Not sure why the bottom drop tray did not just fall off. Frame is rusted through. The grill kind of rocks on it's own. We think we purchased it in 1992. A decade and a half of use. I did replace the burners once or twice before. Also the planks were replaced after the wood one’s rotted away. For some reason, the grill would no longer heat up much beyond 400.

I took a serious look at the summit series. Many times, different stores. How steady. How much power. Dug around underneath. Picked up each to estimate weight. Measured the REAL cooking area and calculated BTU per square foot and BTU per square inch. REAL cooking area is the same as the square inches of the primary cooking grill grates only with a burner under them. Compared, estimated available mass. Measured the burner diameter and compared with other burners and learned to estimate BTU on the diameter of the burner tubes. I think most of the companies lie. Construction. What it is made of. How it is made. Features. Cost. For the current price, if it would have had at least one powerful infrared burner I would probably own a summit. It did not hit my bang for the buck ticket. The price did not bother me. I think it will last at least one decade with care. As a side note: one dealer said that Weber “will not let him” set his price lower on the summit grills. This dealer also had several last year’s high end Weber’s that he could not sell. His prices were too high.

After the summit series came my examination of the current genesis grills. I don’t like the rotisserie set up. With my next grill I plan on taking the rotisserie to the next level and the genesis would not make it as easy as it should. The grates are smaller than my current PCI grates. On the weber it is important because there is no other thermal mass. I have used a genesis grill for a 15 years. I want more. I would never go back to small grates: Give me thermal mass. When you open the grill the heavy grates are the only thing that retains the heat. I love winter grills. I want to be able to grill with the top open. The new genesis grills are not as “heavy” as my older one. One of the nice things about a weber is that they do not flame up as much as other did. The problem is they have no thermal mass at all to keep the heat.

I thought the strange brand named grills at Homey’s & Low’s were too fragile. The TEC grill came close but failed in the construction part. I did not like the newer infrared burner style as much as the older style infrared. There is “something” wrong about the burner on the Charbroil TEC. Too thin? I judged the frame not quite durable enough to survive a decade. I thought the cooking design was also poor. There seems to be a huge wind flow around the grates with the lid closed. I have nothing to judge how stable the temperature will be other than a judgement of “burners plus thermal mass minus large holes when the lid is closed”.

Sears and Sam’s and Low’s and Homey Depot too cheaply built. Shiny junk. Underpowered and an overestimate of available BTU’s for cooking. There are also a lot of underpowered infrared burners out there.

I believe that companies will get sued for lying about their BTU calculations. I hope they will.

The available high end grill store only carried Solaire and DCS. Now there are some nice grills. I purchased a 3/4" steak and 3/4" chops. Took the meat to the store and grilled them up to try out the infrared burners. I think the infrared burners are a good idea if your grill is underpowered. They do heat up quickly and seal the steak. The“V” grate collects some drippings, boils it off and spits the steam back on the steak. Kind of a self basting thing. In the end I learned that infrared is not the whole answer. I think the DCS grill I saw would last almost forever. The Solaire almost as long.

My high end dealer is proud of his pricing. My thought was that he did not have the experience to be as proud as he was. He had been in business less than a year. The dealer did not have a good enough selection to fully display the DCS grills. The one I saw did look good.

I learned that high end grills want at least $100 per linear inch of grill. I almost purchased a Q300 at this point.

Anyone else ever buy a grill on line? (fyi: shopper’s choice is a real outfit). I found a grill at a good price. A 42 s/ rotisserie & base by a company called Twin Eagles(TE). Powerful enough. Too heavy. Big enough. Good reviews. Well built. Prettier than most other high end grills. Normally ridiculously expensive. This one used as the store demo and had some scratches on it. Nice rotisserie. 380 pounds (grill and base). 42 inches wide and almost 30( ) inches deep. The price worked out to be about $53 / linear inch delivered with a grill cover. I am not sure about the Twin Eagles company being around in a decade but I believe the grill will hold up. The inner workings (burner / controls) very similar to DCS and a couple others. Very pretty finish - better than others I have seen - finely polished stainless.

I have three cooks under my belt. 4-1/2 pounds of porterhouse steaks (3 steaks) last night, rotisserie chicken for lunch and chicken and beef kebabs tonight. I have a whole tenderloin for tomorrow. Just finished making some nice Spanish paprika + smoked onion compound butter to go with it.

The TE cooks differently than the weber. The weber had nothing for thermal mass. It will take some getting use to. The three cooks have tested out the normal three different temperatures: as hot as possible to sear a steak, Rotisserie and medium low for the kebabs. Going to also try a pizza tomorrow.

Anyway. In a long rambling fashion I wanted to say why I left weber for another grill. I wanted more and they had less.

Dave

Thanks for a lot of very useful and informative information on your analysis for purchasing a new gasser. Very thorough. I also will soon be facing that delima. I'm at the point in life where I can afford what I really want, but also at the point that I need to stop putting off getting it.
icon_smile.gif

However, I just can't shake this WEBER THING. I'll probably stick with them and go for the new Summit line.

Paul

I came real close with the S-650.

I read an interview somewhere with one of the Weber exec's for this year. He came out and said that this year the infrared burner is going to be "the thing" for gassers. And then, no infrared burner.

I will be adding one (available as a side burner or replacement burner).

Originally posted by David Munson:
He came out and said that this year the infrared burner is going to be "the thing" for gassers. And then, no infrared burner.
The rotisserie burner on the S-650 is an infrared burner. Maybe that's what he meant, not one of the main burners.

Regards,
Chris

Speaking of the Summit series, I had thought I would go with the 420, but when I look at size and cost, I wonder if that's a good idea. The Genesis series has 507 sq. inches of primary cooking area and the Summit 420 only has 31 sq. in. more, for 538 ... doesn't seem like much added space. The 620, however, has 693 sq. inches ... now that is a major increase. I realize the Summit series does have other features, but for that much more money over the Genesis ... maybe the Summit 620 makes more sense... ?

Paul

Chris: Could be. I can not re-find the article. I originally found it when searching information about infrared burners. The article only quoted the guy saying "infrared is the in thing this year". I do remember it was from early in the year and from a near Chicago newspaper (Joliet ?). Only that it was some Weber exec in sales, that his quote was about infrared burners and that it will be the thing for ‘07. The context of the article was in the form of a main burner: not just the rotisserie. I thought it strange because Weber is did not offer a infrared burner other than for the rotisserie. I spent part of that same day looking at a 650 Summit wondering why Weber did not follow through. I bet they are working on it. If I can find Chinese sources for a 12k btu ceramic infrared burners, Weber should be able to.

Paul, the size of the 600 series was the key. You can turn on one side and off the rest. It looks like it would work good with indirect grilling. A good rotisserie set-up (like the summit series or what I now have) was a must for me. You got to just stand in front of a display grill and imagine yourself filling it up with meat. Size matters.

The 400 series summit is about the same size of the genesis. The 400 Summit series seemed to be not much more grill for twice the money over the Genesis. Standing in front of a Genesis, I started to wonder if I could fit Summit grates on it and what that would cost. Is the advertised btu rating about the same? That is when I started looking at the size of the gas burners - I wonder if the genesis series is under powered. The 600 Summit series is larger than the 400 for only $200 more. I don’t like the rotisserie set up on the Genesis series. Same as my old grill.

I used the rotisserie on a whole beef tenderloin. It was really cool to slice off a sliver of beef as it cooks. The rotisserie system is a lot "cooler" than the pictures show. I need to get a EZ QUE set up made.

Matt has it correct: I have a 42" Pinnacles Twin Eagles grill with base and rotisserie. http://www.twineaglesbbq.com/outdoorgrills.shtml and the review for the grill at http://bbq.about.com/cs/toppicks/tp/aatp050703.htm

Interesting post. I have seen Twin Eagles at BBQG. They look very nice, but are far pricier than I am interested in. But they are supposed to be great units.

I think you would have been happy with a Weber Summit, even though they don't have IR. But everyone I have heard of has loved their Summits and they get plenty hot.

I understand your point about the thermal mass. I have an old Genesis and a pretty new BBQG Grand Turbo built in. The Turbo has ceramic bricks sitting right above the burners. This makes for different cooking characteristics than the Genesis.

The Genesis preheats quickly, but as soon as you open the lid, the temp drops about a hundred degrees and it takes time to heat back up.

The BBQG takes a lot longer to preheat; it seems to hit a plateau around 380-400 and takes a long time to get hotter. But once it's hot, opening the lid barely results in a noticeable loss of heat.

Of course the Grand Turbo costs more than a thousand dollars more than a Genesis S320.

It's my understanding that since TEC's patent on the IR burners expired, more grills are coming out with IR burners. But the old style had problems with grease drippings, flare ups, maybe cracks and clogs, etc.

TEC came up with a new patented IR burner that is sealed in glass to get around the problems with the old burners. To get this new technology, you have to buy an expensive TEC, except they also licensed a deal with CharBroil and Lowes, so Lowes will carry a CharBroil model with the new style IR burner for around $700-800.

The good part of this is an affordable IR grill using the latest and greatest technology. The bad news is it's made by CharBroil; one of the worst quality grill manufacturers around.

Thanks Tom. I got a deal on the TE. A really good deal.

The Twin Eagle also uses the ceramic bricks. Like you noted, totally different cooking characteristics. I have been learning new tricks and re-learning old ones. I Almost have a bacon technique figured out. Bacon on the grill is good.

I tried the first generation. Poked at the new TEC's. I am not sure that it (new TEC) is better. I -think- that it allows for less costly components to deliver almost equivalent heat. I don't trust the glass. The stories on the web say slower response. Time will tell.

Great story about grill shopping, I wish I could pay that much attention to detail

My first grill was a Weber Genesis, and I loved it. It seemed like it lasted forever. Sorry to say I didn't take very good care of it in the beginning so it could have lasted longer. (It did take good care of me though). Last year I ended up switching it out for a DCS. I was reluctant to switch from Weber - I looked at the summit too..for a long time - but actually I couldn't be happier. The DCS is well made, gets plenty hot, and I think it will last a long time.

I'm FAR from an expert on this topic, and much of what you said is above my head.

All I know is that my mom bought a red Weber Genesis (E320?) in 1990 or 1991 when my parents divorced and we moved out.

Nearly 20 years later, the grill has moved from the Bay Area to central Minnesota (picture super cold weather, precipitation, etc) and back to San Diego. It functions just as well as it did 20 years ago (great) and looks dam good too; perhaps because she always kept it covered. The only replacements I'v ever made to it were to replace the grates, including the upper one, and the flavor bars (which had finally rusted) a couple years ago.

I don't personally like how the new Genesis' look (too much shiny metal makes it look cheap to me for some reason), but from experience I've seen the amount of durability these things have.

Just my thoughts....

I think somebody has been spending too much time thinking and not enough time Q'n. If he can't afford a good weber to cook it, he might learn to eat it raw. Bob

That's right, u tell em!
icon_mad.gif
How's the old saying go..... cook first, meat and recipe 2nd and cooker 3rd!
icon_biggrin.gif

All joking aside, I'm sure if money is no object we could get NASA to build one mean q'n machine that was 2nd to none!

Me....... give me a Weber!

Hey Dave

Great post...looks like you left no stone unturned when comparing grills! Im glad your happy with your choice...but I have to comment on the fact that the Weber dealer that said he wasnt allowed to deviate on the price. Its actually true..for the most part. Weber has MAP pricing, which stand for Minimum Advertising Price...and as an authorized dealer you agree to not sell less than MAP. Weber in turn gives you an advertising credit for the year, and if you are caught selling less then MAP pricing you lose your ad credit. I think Weber is just trying to create an even playing field for all dealers so no one trys to undercut the other one...no one wins when you create a pricing war. Now once your out of season and/or you have older models you are allowed to sell them at a discount. Your going to see some changes from Weber coming very soon...regarding online pricing and the amount of authorized dealers. Too many so called "dealers" out there selling scratch and dents and older models for a discount but not letting the consumer know about this, which leaves Weber to fix the mess that this creates. But I think the local dealer needs to earn your sale....and theres always things that can be done to offset a price difference such as a cover, free assembly, free delivery, ect....but you have to want the grill for that to be relivant! Glad your happy with your choice!

Back