Rice...so many choices

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
I do not know much about rice. I gave up on cheap white rice years ago. For a long time, I have used Uncle Ben's Brown Rice (via microwave). Good taste and texture (compared to the the old white rice).
Two days ago, my son picked up takeout from a favorite Afghan rest. What fabulous flavors....
The rice was terrific. White, firm texture and flavored with cumin. So I am intrigued.
Can someone share a rice primer. Is a steamer recommended? Types, uses....

I've tried a lot of rices and I really like Mahatma Jasmine. My next choice would be Mahatma Basmati - soaked and then cooked 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups of water.
I love wild rice, too, but it's a bit expensive.

I always cooked sticky rice with a little bit of water. But after tasting some of the rice our south american freinds made...Im sold. Now i cook my rice in alot of water like pasta and i let it go 1-2 min in oil before i add the water. Dont really know alot bout rice,but Basmati is what i usually get.(Not the biggest rice eater)

Remember to rinse the rice you are going to use on cold water before you use it.
With most rice brands you'll really taste the difference.

I only use a steamer for sticky rice.

For regular white, I used to just dump some water in a small pot and when boiling, add the rice.

Son gave us a rice cooker (most useless thing ever, so I thought). Now I don't do regular rice without it--I really like the end product.

It gives a "crust" to the bottom of the rice (when done) that I find especially tasty. Kinda sticks together but then it doesn't fall off your fork upon lifting
icon_smile.gif

I cook LOTS of rice dishes for my clients here, and am a frequent rice cooker at home. I use a rice cooker when that is appropriate, a pot when I will sauté the rice first (common in several dishes among several cuisines), a Dutch oven when the rice will cook and/or finish in the oven.

While usually partial to whole rice (brown Basmati and jasmine, various brown rices from California, red rice, black rice), I do cook white rices often enough, especially jasmine and Basmati but also Italian rices for risotto and Louisiana rices for Cajun dishes.

The procedure one uses to cook rice - whether it is simply bolied or steamed, or first soaked, of first sautéed - affects the finished texture and flavor of the rice dish. For many Afghani rice dishes, the rice (Basmati) is usually washed then soaked for a period of time. It may then be sautéed or, often, cooked with other ingredients (some of which are partially cooked first), then finished in the oven, where the baking dish and heat cause the rice on the bottom to crisp and become especially flavorful. Several Persian rice dishes have a similar finish.

When I eat/cook rice these days it's usually brown, wild, basmati, jasmine or brown basmati; I don't find much flavor in the American standard long or short grain white rice. I hate to admit it, but I often struggled with cooking brown rice
icon_redface.gif
. How difficult should it be to boil water, add rice and cook till tender? Mine usually came out too mushy or undercooked as the result of adjusting water or cooking time. So I bought a rice cooker and it's been great for me; a set it and forget it device; plus opens up a burner on the stove. I like to add nuts and seasonings to some rice depending on the dish. I really prefer rice over potatoes as a starch.

Paul

Steve,

Your local Harris Teeter has some wonderful Basmati and Jasmine. I prefer their "Organic Harris Teeter Naturals" brand.

Kruger offers excellent advice (as always). One other thing that I do offer is to use a good quality lemon infused olive oil if you are sauteeing the rice to make a pilaf. It really adds a wonderful flavor.

Ray

Thanks gentlemen. I can't tell you how wonderful that packed in foam tray take out dinner was. But, the star, with no disrespect to the lamb which was excellent, was the rice.

No one enjoys new experiences more than me and I must say, food is a never ending journey of discovery.

Thanks guys, off to teeter for basmati and jasmine....

If you're buying Thai hom mali / long-grained jasmine rice, I recommend getting it at the Asian market, not the supermarket. I consistently find that many of the Asian food products/condiments at the supermarket are inferior to, and more expensive than those at the Asian markets. I was in a pinch and bought jasmine rice at my local Pathmark. It was full of pebbles and did not have the scent or flavor of the rice I get at the Asian markets.

On that note, here's the simple Chinese method of cooking white long-grain rice. Put about 2 cups of rice in a heavy enamel dutch-oven type pot. No need to measure. Rinse the rice several times until the water runs clear. Add about 2.5 cups of cold water to the rice. You can simply poor in enough water until the water covers the rice by one thumb-joint depth, about 3/4 - 1 inch. Bring the rice to a slow boil with the lid off. Simmer at lowest heat until all the water is absorbed -- no stirring! Small craters should be seen in the rice. Tip the pot to see if nearly all water has been absorbed. Put the lid on the pot and simmer at lowest for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit for another 15 minutes. Remove lid and fluff rice. Serve immediately or put the lid back on the hold in the heat if not serving for another 30-60 minutes. That's it. No oil or salt added.

I cook a fair amount in a work setting (Rice Pilaf, Spanish, Asian Fried, and plain white Rice). Both tomorrow (Spanish) and Thu (plain White) I'll be cooking about 3 qts dry each day

Other than the Fried we use a hotel pan covered with foil and oven at 350. Use about 2:1 water:rice ratio and it takes from 50 mins to an hour.

We use Converted Rice (Par Boiled) which I believe is similar or the same as Uncle Ben's Original.

For a good basic white rice that cooks-up nice and fluffy:

I find that I like "Texmati" (American Basmati Rice that is grown in Texas.) A lot of supermarkets handle it, and it comes in nice, screw-top, re-sealable jars. I find that it cooks pretty quickly, but if you add a little more water than it calls for and cook it a little longer, it gets nice and creamy.
It really sucks-up broth and flavorants if you choose to cook it with some.

If you've never tried it, give it a whirl sometime.

Buy both all the time. My clients in Vegas are big rice eaters. Those are what I cook mostly. White and brown versions of both.

Steve - I'll try to get a recipe - I'm a big fan of arroz con gandules - My wife is from Central America. It is not her specialty, but we hv friends that just nail it...

One of the doctor shows suggested Trader Joe's brown rice microwave version as a quick side and a bit healthier. Not bad and ready in 3 minutes for when you are in a rush, no measuring or pans to wash either.

Back