Tequila Lime Tri-Tip

Jack Straw

TVWBB Fan
This is with out question my FAVORITE tri-tip recipe. Thank you Epicurious! I grill this on my kettle using the indirect method and leave about a 1/4" fat cap on the roast. Roast to about 135-140*. Serve up the relish on the side....I'm getting hungry just thinking about this!

GRILLED TRI-TIP ROAST WITH TEQUILA MARINADE AND CHERRY TOMATO RELISH
Marinate the tri-tip for at least two hours.

1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup tequila
7 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 teaspoons grated lime peel
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 good size tri-tip

Whisk first 10 ingredients in medium bowl. Using small sharp knife, pierce meat all over. Place meat in large resealable plastic bag; add marinade. Seal bag. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight, turning plastic bag occasionally. Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Remove meat from marinade. Discard marinade. Grill meat to desired doneness, about 10 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to cutting board. Tent with foil; let stand 10 minutes. Cut diagonally across grain. Serve meat with Cherry Tomato Relish.

CHERRY TOMATO RELISH
Halved cherry tomatoes and diced green chilies make a chunky relish for the tri-tip.

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
4 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
3/4 cup olive oil
1/8 cup drained canned diced mild green chilies
4 green onions, finely chopped
4 cups halved cherry tomatoes

Whisk vinegar and oregano in medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in oil. Mix in green chilies and green onions. (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover; chill.) Add tomatoes; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.

I use less olive oil than this (maybe 1/2 cup) and about 2/3rds of a small can of diced green chilies.

Blasphemous? perhaps.

Tasty? I'm guessing yes.

Jack thanks for the recipe. I like a great cut of meat done up every once in awhile so I don't see any problem with this. Hell.. I will try this for sure just so I can be a BBQ Heretic
icon_rolleyes.gif

don't let the doubters get you down.. Keep on posting those sweet sweet recipes
icon_biggrin.gif

This recipe is very good. I made two tris last night, one this way and another dry-rubbed (Ancho, cocoa, onion, garlic, thyme, marjoram, clove, celery, allspice, ginger). Both were well-received; in some cases one (either) was preferred slightly more than the other but everyone liked both and it was great to have both styles on the same plate.

Is there an optimum amount of time to marinate the tri-tip? Wouldn't an overnight marinating time make the meat mushy?

Rita

While the acidity here--though not over-the-top--might be too much for long-term poultry (or seafood/fish) marinating, it's not high enough to cause a problem with tri-tip if the marinade time is reasonable. 'Overnight' is fine if cooking the following morning. Practically speaking, prepping in the morning for cooking that evening seems more reasonable. This would mean an 8-10 hour time in all likelihood. I think 5 or 6 hours should be the minimum with 8-10 the max.

This is my favorite tri-tip recipe. I marinate it using a vacuum canister for about 4 hours. It is great....tom

Ask and ye shall receive! Perfect. I have just enough time today to pull it off. Thanks Kevin and Tom!

Rita

Is the reason you cook indirect because of something in the marinade? I normally grill my tri-tips like I do a Steak, high heat sear and then finish it at a lower temp?
We are having the neighbors over for dinner Friday and I will be trying this recipe.
Any feed back on the advantages of direct vs. indirect, and the cooking temp's would be appreciated.

You can start direct and finish indirect--that's what I do. This is for charcoal/lump. Indirect is a less intense heat so the cooking is more even (better for thick stuff like tris and thick steaks) but starting direct allows for caramelization on the the meats' surfaces. For gas you'd do something similar.

Nothing in this marinade warrants concern in terms of direct cooking so cook like you're planning.

Thanks Kevin, I will go that route then. Looks like some tasty beef! I will report back with my results.

Came out excellent, we cooked 4 and I have 1 whole one left to snack on. Came out very moist. I seared them at about 800 degrees for 1 1/2 minutes a side, then took them off the grill and dropped the temp down to about 400. The temp drop took maybe 15 minutes. I put them back on and it took about 10 minutes a side to bring them up to 125 internal. They were very tender and full of flavor. I will use this one again.

I've tried this on the grill and it's fantatsic.

Is it possible to do this in the bullet? If so, any wood to smoke?

I've done a regular tri-tip with oak/mesquite (from main page) and that's always well received.

Jeff, you can grill on the WSM. I've done a couple of tri-tips on mine before getting my kettle. Put a rack over your charcoal bowl (a lot of stooping) or bring your charcoal grate up to the mid section and grill off the top rack (more comfortable). If you move your charcoal up to the mid section, I'd recommend using lump (hotter coals) as you'll have a fair distince between the coals and the top rack making it a little more difficult to sear. For wood, the choice is yours, but you can't miss with oak. I did 2 tri's this weekend and used apple; they turned out great.

Howdy all, haven't checked this post for a while, glad everyones enjoying this as much as I do. Come to think of it I haven't made this in a few months, gonna have to revisit this recipe. My favorite way to roast tri tip anymore is in a spit cage over indirect but high heat on the kettle. Dry rub or marinade, spit roasting is the way to go.

Damn this sounds good, I'm going shopping!
icon_smile.gif

Delicious..made it Friday night, had 2 tri tips, did one this way, and the other one from All recipes top bbq recipes. Hands down this wat the winner.

This recipe is a KEEPER!
Go to page one of this post and print out Jack's initial entry, you will not regret it!
Fabulous!
icon_smile.gif

great recipe. perfect for tri-tip and great with some margheritas.

I set my WSM on top of my patio glass top patio table with a piece of plywood underneath. No stooping.

Careful with the lid balancing.

We give up , what are you all calling a Tri-Tip Roast ? I'd like to try it if I new what it is, we're wondering if it's called something else in our neck of the woods. Thanks

It's a cut of beef from the bottom Sirloin. Come to find out, alot of people haven't heard of it, I myself was a deprived child
icon_biggrin.gif
. Just got off the phone with the butcher. 2 on order for Fri. pick-up. Thanks anyway folks, and Kevin I'm from S.Central Pa.

Back