Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Convert LP to NG

I converted an E 330 from NG to Propane. I got new Orifices from www.grill-repair.com for $50 including the LP regulator and hose. After adjusting the air shutters it worked perfectly. They have videos on conversions on the website.
    1992 Genesis II Redhead, 18.5 WSM, Q100, MES 40

TVWBB Member
    Sorry to bring up this old thread... but I'd like to see if someone could help.

I have a 2015 Genesis S-330. I want to convert it from LP to NG. My understanding is that I just need the orifices and the 1/2" NG hose w/ quick disconnect, is that correct? Will I need 5 orifices because there's the sear burner and the side burner? What drill bit size should I use? I've read so many different sizes from 1/8" to 1/6" to 50, 60.

The NG manual says the 330 has a bigger NG hose (1/2" vs. 3/8). Do I need extra fittings to connect the NG hose to the grill?

From what I read the newer Genesis NG does not have a regulator, so I can skip that altogether, correct?

TIA.
    Last edited by Dennis Y; 06-29-2016 at 10:13 PM.

While a conversion is a straightforward thing it is NOT for the faint of heart or unskilled. It is also not as easy as swapping orifices and a hose (though it can be depending on the type of valves on the grill). The first thing I would do if I were you is research possibly buying this http://www.ereplacementparts.com/man...p-1476596.html which is a complete manifold assembly for your grill properly set up for NG. Judging by your question and how it is worded I would hesitate to recommend you start trying to "modify" your manifold and parts. You can also buy a complete side burner (from the same source) for about $110. By doing it this way there is no guess work involved and if you need to you can "go back" to LP or if you ever sell your grill you can sell it with the advantage of being able to use either with a simple part swap. You're going to spend about $200 to do it this way, but, (and please do not take this wrong) it is the only way (and advice) I will give even though I know it can be done.

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LMichaels View Post
    While a conversion is a straightforward thing it is NOT for the faint of heart or unskilled. It is also not as easy as swapping orifices and a hose (though it can be depending on the type of valves on the grill). The first thing I would do if I were you is research possibly buying this http://www.ereplacementparts.com/man...p-1476596.html which is a complete manifold assembly for your grill properly set up for NG. Judging by your question and how it is worded I would hesitate to recommend you start trying to "modify" your manifold and parts. You can also buy a complete side burner (from the same source) for about $110. By doing it this way there is no guess work involved and if you need to you can "go back" to LP or if you ever sell your grill you can sell it with the advantage of being able to use either with a simple part swap. You're going to spend about $200 to do it this way, but, (and please do not take this wrong) it is the only way (and advice) I will give even though I know it can be done.
    I understand and I have also considered just getting the manifold assembly. That way there's no guesswork on what size hole to drill, as the pressure coming out of the meter could varies. Another alternative is to get the regulator so grill-repair can drill it for me.

However, if the difference between the NG and LP manifold is just the orificies (is it?), it's hard to justify that cost. Yet, at $6 per orifice and $30 for the regulator it's actually getting half the cost of the entire manifold. There's no way I will spend another 100 on the side burner though, so I will def try the orifice modification for that.

Thanks for the help.

First off a regulator will not "convert" your grill to NG or vice/verse'. The process while relatively simple in theory is not quite so in practice. And no it is NOT just drilling out orifices. It entails deciding if you want the grill to use a regulator for NG or not. If not you need a manometer to find out your gas pressure to the grill, than you need a chart to match orifice size to gas pressure to BTU requirements. You than need to figure out what type of valves your grill has. Weber in my experience uses 2 different types (continuous port or fixed port). If it's continuous than sure it's simply doing the correct orifice sizes. If not you have to either A, acquire NG valves (impossible) or B, modify the valves you have. In either case the valves need to be disassembled to find out what you have. So again are you comfortable with working on gas fittings? Disassembling the valves and doing the mod which entails measuring and resizing the intermediate and low flow orifices within the valve?
    Again if you're not comfortable or understand anything here you run the risk of ruining your grill, harming yourself and or your home. IMO (again no disrespect intended here) by the nature of your questions and statements you're FAR better off biting the bullet spend the $200 and save yourself a while bunch of headache or worse

Just a thought about safety. You are dealing with natural gas here and that by its nature is explosive. If you have any doubts about what you are doing, spend the money. Your safety and the safety of your family is much more important than a few dollars.

I would listen to LMichaels on this. His advice is spot on as usual and again, your safety is the ultimate issue here.
    Last edited by Bob Ivey; 06-30-2016 at 08:25 AM.
    2013 WSM 22.5 , 2008 C&B Performer 22.5 , 96 Genesis 1000 Redhead , 1995 Smokey Joe , 2 HeaterMeters, Vortex

TVWBB Member
    No disrespect taken. This is why I ask here for comments and advice. If what I am attempting to do is stupid and dangerous, I want to know that as well. I am obviously doing all the homework I can before I start touching the NG line. If replacing the manifold is the best course of action, I will of course go that way. Thanks again for the help.

On a side note, when Weber used to sell the conversion kits, what did it include? Anyone knows?

They used to sell the entire manifold so it was just a simple swap. I think they included the gas line too but don't quote me. BTW not trying to indicate what you want to do is dumb. I've done many grills this way BUT I am comfortable doing gas fittings and knowing how to use a manometer and reading an orifice sizing chart. I only once made a grievous error (though nothing or no one was worse for wear only my pride). I was doing a conversion on a 40000 btu 3 burner grill. Stupid me instead of dividing my 3 I did all 3 orifices to 40k BTU EACH! Wow! Did that grill heat FAST LOL. It was one of my finer senior moments! Sear a steak in 20 seconds flat! All kidding aside, you can see even if you know what you're doing the slightest distraction can cause you an issue.

TVWBB All-Star
    LM is definitely on point about the need to be very careful, and that getting an entire manifold is the safest way. That said, I'm pretty sure that all the Weber valves were "infinity", "continuous", or whatever it's called. In short, same valves for both NG and LP. Every burner on your grill has an orifice and they will all need to be changed out. This applies to side burners, sear burners, infrared rotisserie burners, etc.

As NG orifices have larger openings, it is possible to just drill out your existing ones, but I'd still go the safer route and order them pre drilled from grill repair.

http://www.grill-repair.com/weber313orifice.html

I'd give them a call if you really want to do this.
    Ranch Kettle x 2, MiniRanch Gen2 Performer , SS Performer , OTG , OTS, Red MBH, JJ, SJS, Summit 650, Genesis Silver C , Genesis Gold C

TVWBB Member
    So the difference between a NG and LP manifold is really just the orifice?

How does Weber sell the Genesis without NG regulator if everyone's pressure could be different? The more I read the more I get confused.
    Last edited by Dennis Y; 06-30-2016 at 01:50 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast