Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Convert LP to NG

Well.. I ended up drilling out my orifices.
    and........
    It works GREAT!!

Nice job. Now we have someone that has actaully done it and can give real help, not just ideas.

Was it difficult?
    Lime Green 22, OTS 22.5 & 18.5, SJ, WSM 18.5, Silver B, Electric Q, Wood Handle SJ in Box

Actually extremely easy. I wish I had taken pictures now.
    The hardest part was finding a drill bit small enough. I had a natural gas orifice from another conversion kit for comparison of the hole diameter.
    It's a brass fitting, so I put it on my drill press and it literally took 1 second for each hole, 3 holes in total.

After that it was just a matter of resealing all the threads and putting it back together.

I am so impressed with how it works, I may actually take it apart again at some point and do a write up so those that want to do it can see how easy and cheap it is.

TVWBB All-Star
    Originally posted by Jay W:
    Actually extremely easy. I wish I had taken pictures now.
    The hardest part was finding a drill bit small enough. I had a natural gas orifice from another conversion kit for comparison of the hole diameter.
    It's a brass fitting, so I put it on my drill press and it literally took 1 second for each hole, 3 holes in total.

After that it was just a matter of resealing all the threads and putting it back together.

I am so impressed with how it works, I may actually take it apart again at some point and do a write up so those that want to do it can see how easy and cheap it is.
    Doing a write up would so impressive as there is a lot of folks out there in need of this type of knowledge, great job on researching this fix also, "Happy Grilling"
    "WEBER"
    2010 Black Performer,S310 2007,18.5 WSM 2010,Jumbo Joe 2014

TVWBB Fan
    The easiest way to convert from lp to ng is to determine thw btu for each burner and look up on google for a conversion chart for orifice. This will give you the size drill bit to use. It will be a numbered bit some where between 1 and 80. They aren't stocked by HD or lowes. However you can get a cheap set grom harbor freight. With this size the lp jet can ve drilled. Now we have to size the two orifices in each valve. Use the same chart for sizing.

To go from ng to lp you either replace the orifices (same chart) or solder and re drill to the corect size. New jets and valves can be obtained from a good full service propane store.

Hopes this helps

Gary

Hey Gary,

Way easier then that, only 3 holes drilled in total. It's a size 60 that I used.

Like I said, when I get some time, I'll do a write up.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay W View Post
    Hey Gary,

Way easier then that, only 3 holes drilled in total. It's a size 60 that I used.

Like I said, when I get some time, I'll do a write up.

Jay
    I used a size 50 as per this BTU conversion chart for 3.5" water to get close to the same 38000 BTU the grill is rated for. It works great, peaks at about 600F.

http://www.hvacredu.net/gas-codes/mo...ty%20Chart.pdf

Depending on the type of valve in the grill you might have to open the low and medium orifices on the internal valve body too. Oddly when I did my brother's Summit it had a completely different type of valve and no "adjustment" was needed. But I have found on the Genesis models that slight adjustment was necessary as low setting was too low and flame would go out, and medium was similar to the low setting prior to conversion. I don't recall the sizes I used but I know I did not change them much

Quote Originally Posted by LMichaels View Post
    Oddly when I did my brother's Summit it had a completely different type of valve and no "adjustment" was needed.
    I am currently swapping around a few bits and pieces on a Summit Silver D (NG) built in and a Summit Silver C. (LPG)

Basically I am putting the Silver D into the Silver C frame.

Any hints as to what I should modify for installing a LP side burner to now run on NG ? Drill out the orifice?

Thanks, Stephen.
    Genesis5000 '96 (The Green Machine), Summit Silver C '04, Genesis1100 '00 (Redhead- Brand New!), Summit FT-600 '99, Kettle OTS '88, Kettle Compact '09,WSJ S,WSJ G (WSM-Mini)

Yep that's all I did. I modified his to run on line pressure (no regulator) since we already knew his house was running 7" WC I just simply jetted everything on that so he did not have to buy a regulator

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast