Convert LP to NG

Jay W

Hey,

I'm wondering if anyone knows if/how I can convert my LP Genesis e320 to Natural Gas?
I got it as a gift, but would prefer to use the gas line that I had installed.

What year is it? Look down a few posts for Yenner, he has a NG he wants to convert to LP maybe you can help each other out.

I've got a 2011/2012. Not positive which year, but I believe they are the same.
Front burners.

Unfortunately, I don't think they are compatible with older models.

I've tried hooking the NG directly to the bbq as is, but it tops out at 400 degrees and won't get any hotter. I'm guessing it's tripping the safety valve?

Nope, I am not sure of the proper terms but NG burns cooler than LP. Meaning with the same flow volume of gas, NG can not produce the equal amount of BTUs as LP. They used to sell the conversion kits but stopped in 2010. You could either buy the NG manifold and install it or make modifications to the orfice that regulates the gas flow.

Any ideas on how to acquire a gas manifold?
I called Weber and they basically said they won't sell it to me due to CSA regulations.

Jay,

Take a look at the parts schematic for the NG version of the grill. I think THIS is it. Get the part number and try buying it somewhere else. That's my best guess.

Ya, I'll keep trying that.
I already tried to order it via Sears, but apparently Weber doesn't even sell it to Sears. Think I'm stuck for now.

There are a couple of stores on ebay that sell the new manifolds so you could try there and see if they have what you need.

I went through this exercise several months back but it was to convert from NG to LP.

Weber will not help, nor will most likely any BBQ store. The best advice I got was to find a plumber who may understand the differences with the orifices and other key elements of making the switch. Obviously, if you have a friend that is a plumber that would be best as they are expensive.

I ended up just finding a good deal on CL for a LP and storing my NG.

Nice job. Now we have someone that has actaully done it and can give real help, not just ideas.

Was it difficult?

Actually extremely easy. I wish I had taken pictures now.
The hardest part was finding a drill bit small enough. I had a natural gas orifice from another conversion kit for comparison of the hole diameter.
It's a brass fitting, so I put it on my drill press and it literally took 1 second for each hole, 3 holes in total.

After that it was just a matter of resealing all the threads and putting it back together.

I am so impressed with how it works, I may actually take it apart again at some point and do a write up so those that want to do it can see how easy and cheap it is.

Originally posted by Jay W:
Actually extremely easy. I wish I had taken pictures now.
The hardest part was finding a drill bit small enough. I had a natural gas orifice from another conversion kit for comparison of the hole diameter.
It's a brass fitting, so I put it on my drill press and it literally took 1 second for each hole, 3 holes in total.

After that it was just a matter of resealing all the threads and putting it back together.

I am so impressed with how it works, I may actually take it apart again at some point and do a write up so those that want to do it can see how easy and cheap it is.

Doing a write up would so impressive as there is a lot of folks out there in need of this type of knowledge, great job on researching this fix also, "Happy Grilling"

The easiest way to convert from lp to ng is to determine thw btu for each burner and look up on google for a conversion chart for orifice. This will give you the size drill bit to use. It will be a numbered bit some where between 1 and 80. They aren't stocked by HD or lowes. However you can get a cheap set grom harbor freight. With this size the lp jet can ve drilled. Now we have to size the two orifices in each valve. Use the same chart for sizing.

To go from ng to lp you either replace the orifices (same chart) or solder and re drill to the corect size. New jets and valves can be obtained from a good full service propane store.

Hopes this helps

Gary

Hey Gary,

Way easier then that, only 3 holes drilled in total. It's a size 60 that I used.

Like I said, when I get some time, I'll do a write up.

Jay

Depending on the type of valve in the grill you might have to open the low and medium orifices on the internal valve body too. Oddly when I did my brother's Summit it had a completely different type of valve and no "adjustment" was needed. But I have found on the Genesis models that slight adjustment was necessary as low setting was too low and flame would go out, and medium was similar to the low setting prior to conversion. I don't recall the sizes I used but I know I did not change them much

Oddly when I did my brother's Summit it had a completely different type of valve and no "adjustment" was needed.

I am currently swapping around a few bits and pieces on a Summit Silver D (NG) built in and a Summit Silver C. (LPG)

Basically I am putting the Silver D into the Silver C frame.

Any hints as to what I should modify for installing a LP side burner to now run on NG ? Drill out the orifice?

Thanks, Stephen.

Yep that's all I did. I modified his to run on line pressure (no regulator) since we already knew his house was running 7" WC I just simply jetted everything on that so he did not have to buy a regulator

Back