KCBS Chicken turn in

I've heard of folks turning in wing drummettes in contests, like the Jack Daniels, where contestants must include white meat in the turn-in box.

I'm also a judge and while I haven't judged that many contests, I've seen only thighs and legs in the box, but I will say that perhaps the best single bite of chicken I've ever tasted was from a leg at the Hartsell, Alabama contest earlier this year.

Pat

I competed with someone last fall -- our first-ever contest. We turned in wings, and didn't score well. Near the bottom, of some 45 teams. We're not going to try that again.

Since then, we've been in three other contests. Chicken thighs in each (with a new recipe). Top half each time, with a 4th place in one contest.

So, it's only anecdotal, but honestly I think enough judges really dislike the idea of wings that you can't really score well with them.

I think if you're gonna do wings you probably want to do some type of chicken lollipop type presentation and even then it's a little too out-of-the-box to score well.

Judges are looking for sweet, sticky, spicy hunks of BBQ chicken. Wings usually don't get on the radar in that category.

Back