Bloody Mary - Cape Cod Style

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Theo Theophilus in the Recipe Request Forum on 9/9/2000

------------------
When im firin' up and it's too early to crack a brew,i often enjoy the following.

******** CAPE-COD STYLE BLOODY-MARY *********

pour desired amount of vodka(or none)over ice,fill glass with *Clamato juice,

add to taste...
Worcestershire sauce
tabasco sauce
prepared horseradish(yellow)
celery salt
S&P
dash ground chipolte pepper(optional)

garnish with slice of lime,lemon,celery stick,or my favorite,a pepperoncini...

Mix & enjoy!

Theo B.

(*Clamato actually makes it a bloody-caeser)

When in Canada on business I always make it a point to have a Bloody Caesar, sounds like the same drink describe by Theo B. Essentially a Bloody Mary with Clamato juice instead of Tamatoe juice. I believe it is the number 1 mixed drink north of the border yet here in the States nobody knows what it is.

This is always a great drink to have before a meal. It heightens your appetite, especially with a cold beer chaser. We just call it a Ceasar. You can buy clamato juice already spiced up but I prefer to spice my own. Sometime I use a spear of lemon grass for a "Thai Style" ceasar. The bars in Calgary have Ceasar making contest during Stampede week.

Another interesting garnish is pickled green beans, first had this at the Martin Mack, Upper Haight. I had never seen it before, it really nice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
Originally posted by Theo Theophilus in the Recipe Request Forum on 9/9/2000<br /><br />------------------<br />When im firin' up and it's too early to crack a brew, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow. How early is that? I didn't know that it was ever too early (or late) to crack a brew

As a Canadian I can attest that the Ceasar is a very popular drink. I used to have to take a couple jugs of Clamato with me when I went to Florida but it is now being carried in stores down there, perhaps due to the very large number of Canadian snowbirds.

This is VERY close to my bloody mary recipe. However I omit the chipotle, and add fresh lime juice and old bay.

I also garnish with pickled okra.

Has anyone ever tried fat washing the vodka? I've been toying around with the idea. Here is the method I plan to use (only with vodka):

Fatwashed gin

5 strips slow-cooked bacon

1 teaspoon tri-color peppercorns

1 (750-ml.) bottle Hendrick's gin

Place the bacon and peppercorns in an open-mouthed container with the gin and set aside for 6 hours to allow the gin to steep. Remove and discard the bacon and peppercorns, then freeze the gin overnight. The next day, remove and discard the frozen "fat cap." Store the gin in the freezer until needed.

I have to second the recommendation on the pickled green bean as a garnish. I love it. I first experienced this when visiting relatives in Baton Rouge, La. Another thing I remember is getting my coffee cup heated up with hot water THEN filled with coffee. It kept the coffee hot in the cup much longer than a normal first cup. That is when I learned to appreciate that little things can make a big difference in our enjoyment of food. Just 2 more days until my first 18" WSM arrives.

Back