Genesis and grease fires...fun with disaster

Mike_Mc

TVWBB Member
Hey guys,

So I have a seven/eight year old genesis silver. Love the thing! Great grill, all my friends are jealous, you know how it goes. Lately however, I have been having a run in with grease fires (one as I post actually). I clean the drip tray and pull out the larger piece (bottom tray) and clean it a couple times a year. Whenever I seem to get a nice hot fire to sear something with I get a grease fire on the bottom and sometimes they are pretty wicked. Any guidance on the issue? Thanks all.

mm

Mike
I hv a genesis silver, too. Same issue...I do as you do, but also scrape the inside of the bottom grill portion. I typically use a small paint scraper and a wire brush - there is a thin build up of grease that covers allthe heavily used areas. Usually keeps the fires at bay for a while.
Jim

It has also happened to me when I let too much gunk build up. I use a plastic ice scraper to clean the bottom and sides.

Ray

Depending on how often you use it, cleaning out the drip trays a "couple times a year" might not be enough. I grill 4-5 nights a week, and I find cleaning my trays is about a bi-monthly task. Fortunately, it doesn't take very long with Weber's design.

Dave,

I think that might be my problem. I do grill @ least 3x a week, so I probably just need some more regular cleaning. Thanks for the advice. mm

Back