Chuck Roast el Adobo

G

Procured a 3 pound, well marbled chuck roast this week. First sleep over consisted of a rub:

2 cumin
2 kosher salt
2 turbinado
2 paprika
2 chili powder
1 black pepper
1 onion powder

Next day I carefully layered a pureed chipolte adobo puree on top of the rub.

Hot smoke this afternoon 220*F until the slicing fork runs clear through, with no resistance.

Sunny and 50*F. Maybe a beer or three. Everyone enjoy the weekend.

Jim

Hi Jim,
Sounds great. Chuck Roast is an ideal cut of beef for bbq, and as forgiving as pork butt. I have a question about your rub, and the chipotle paste.
I am wondering if the 2-parts cumin is a little overbearing. Seems like a pretty hard hit. I wonder how it blends with the other items in the rub, considering that it is a fairly dominant spice. I hope you read this in the spirit that it is written. That is, I'm simply curious.
I have been unable to locate the chipotle in adobo locally. Is your concoction a commercial product, and if so, can you provide a brand name? Perhaps a source for purchase...
Your recipe has me pining for some good ol' bbq chuck roast! Gonna try it soon. Thanks Jim.

Jim,
The recipe sounds great, I just want to be clear on exactly what you did. (Cuz I'm gonn try it!)
1) dry rub the roast and let it sit overnight.
2) the chipotle paste -- is this just a standard, small 7oz can of chipotle in adobo that you just put in your blender? Or is this some other kind of paste I should know about? So it's his basically a wet rub you apply right before cooking, right?
Sounds real good.
I always keep a small can of those chipotles on hand. they're awesome.
They're great in BBQ sauces, too.
Since I rarely use a whole can, I put the remainder in a ziplock bag, roll it up, and stick it in the freezer. Next time I make sauce, I take the frozen chipotle log out, cut off a slice or two, and add it to whatever sauce I'm making.
Great stuff.

Ronnie,

I did not find the cumin overpowering. It is my adaptation of a rub by Chris Schlesinger for his Cumin Crusted Flank Steak. Which actually calls for more cumin than what I used. I used this rub in anticipation of having most of it left over, since two of us could not eat all of this. Now I'll use the leftovers for beef tacos and tortillas. Nice thing about using your own rub is that you can alter the flavors by reducing any item you feel necessary.

You can make your own chipolte in adobo sauce that will be as good as any canned stuff. But send me a private mail, and I will send a bunch your way. The chuck roast came out great, it stalled at 158*F for well over an hour. Then I brought it to 173*F internal. About a six hour cook. Coupled with three links of homemade venison/pork sausage, pretty good meal. I took some pics and I'll get them posted somewhere soon. The roast had a great bark, so when I chop it up for tacos, I'll mix that right in with the meat. I'll get quite a few more meals from a little ole $4.00 roast.

Jim
Jim@berk.com

Henry Joe,
You got it right, just whirl that stuff in the food processor for a minute or two. I like to use this every now and again. If I keep the temps low the tomato tends to bark up nicely. The vinegar, in the adobo gives a nice twang to the meat. Chuck roasts are awesome, as long as you do not overcook and let it dry out. Yup, sort of like a paste over a rub. Don't go tellin everybody about the chuck roast now, otherwise the price be headed skyward, similar to brisket.

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Morrissey:
Ronnie,
--snip--
You can make your own chipolte in adobo sauce that will be as good as any canned stuff. But send me a private mail, and I will send a bunch your way. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Note: I did correspond with Jim by email, but wanted to respond here also.

Hello Jim,

Thank you for your most generous offer. It is so refreshing to be a member of this WSM Group. It's folks like you who make this Bulletin Board an enjoyable place to visit. I hope the helpful and friendly nature of this place never degrades into on-topic help buried in filthy language and personal slams so commonplace on some other sites.

I managed to find some Chipotle in adobo after a head-strong effort Saturday morning, and bought a couple cans. Also picked up a 3+ pound Chuck Roast.

(Here is an excerpt from an email I sent to Jim/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

On the cook: I made up the rub per your recipe, except I used light brown sugar in place of the turbinado. Got the rub on, and vaccuum sealed it with the Food Saver, and let it set in the fridge for about 5 hours. Fired up the WSM, put the paste on the roast, and got it on about 6:00 last night. Used a couple chunks of Oak, and one of Cherry wood, and took it off just after midnight. Brought it inside, cut off a couple samples, wrapped it in foil, and let it rest for an hour before cooling it down. It is really tasty. Like yours, mine also stalled at 158*F for a good spell before going on up to about 170*F when I took it off. Great recipe! I printed it out, and put it in my stack of "good stuff", and will definitely make it again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Joe:
[qb]Jim,

I always keep a small can of those chipotles on hand. they're awesome.
They're great in BBQ sauces, too.
Since I rarely use a whole can, I put the remainder in a ziplock bag, roll it up, and stick it in the freezer. Next time I make sauce, I take the frozen chipotle log out, cut off a slice or two, and add it to whatever sauce I'm making.
Great stuff.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The chipotles en adobo have so much vinegar that they will keep indefinitely in the fridge. When I open a can, I just transfer the remainder to a little tupperware jar and stick it on the shelf in the fridge.

Also, they puree really easily with a chef's knife and rocking chop (like mincing garlic), so I just grab a whole chile and puree it as necessary.

You are right that these little bad boys are killer in BBQ sauces. I've modified my favorite middle GA catsup/vinegar sauce a bit: I now float a chipotle in it while it's simmering. When it's zingy enough, I just fish the pepper out and toss it.

Webb,
One other thing that is good in an Adobo type bbq sauce is some seedless grape preserves. Gives a nice, sweet-heat.

Jim

Jim, just got around to trying chuck roast aldobo. It was fantastic. Got great reviews from the neighbers, Great recipe.

I totally agree with Webb. No need to take up precious freezer space. I puree my canned chipotles and store them in a GLASS jar in the refrigerator for a year or mo'. That way I can add a little at a time until the heat is just right, depending on how hot I want things. Tupperware is great (I could open a store here in my house), but you'll never be able to use that container for anything else. Be sure to use a PLASTIC lid. The chipotles will eat up on a metal lid (even a canning lid) in short order. Chipotles are so good that I don't even want to know what it might do to my tummy! (So far, so good!)

I'm gonna try the beef real soon!
Rita

Sorry for the newboe question but...

does it matter if the chuck roast is boneless or not?

Thanks,
Ken

I just tried Jim's recipe and it kicks butt!

I didn't think chuck roast could ever come out this good.

Thanks!
Ken

Back