Smoked Salmon--brine vs salt cure

Chris E

TVWBB Pro
I have hot smoked Salmon following a half-day cure in kosher salt and brown sugar and it came out great.

I am going to try brining the salmon rather than the dry salt cure, hoping there might be less salt or sugar.

Anybody tried both and have comments about texture/taste?

I prefer a brine - just 74-90 minutes, max. In terms of flavor, I prefer seasoned, not salty, finish, and only like a light sweetness. I also prefer the lighter texture of hot-smoked, brined salmon over that of the heavily salted/sugared-cured.

Here is an example.

For something simple, quick, and yummy...try alderwood smoking a slab of skinless salmon with fresh dill and butter on top ... cook to 130* internal for exceptionally moist fish, takes about 30 mins
icon_razz.gif
... serve with dill infused butter, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Kevin that recipe/link looks good to me.
Alder seems to be the smoke wood of choice up in the northwest for salmon. I have some maple that I'll try, i think it is similar.

I'm assuming you all go for the usual 225-250 smoke temp range with this.

I would use the recipe that is on the board for smoked Salmon. as long as it is rinsed after curing it is not overly salty

I recently cured a sockeye fillet with Kosher salt, brown sugar, cracked green peppercorn, granulated garlic and some lemon zest.

It was in the cure for about 2.5 hrs, I felt the thin portion by the tail became a bit too salty. The rest of the fish was fabulous.

I used some alder chips and the smoke had a wonderful aroma with a touch of sweetness to it. I will look for chunks of this next, and will try on some chicken as well.

I think the next time I do this I will try the brine Kevin suggests. Definitely going with alder again though.

Back