Is it me, the knife, or the sharpener?

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
I've an 8-inch Cutco chef's knife. I'm fairly happy with it. We've had it for 25 years and it's been a good tool, but perhaps I'm ready for an upgrade. I just can't seem to keep a good edge on it. I use a ChefsChoice sharpener (probably not the best) and a new diamond edge honing steel. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks all. - G
Cutco.jpg

Gary,

Doesn't Cutco offer lifetime sharpening for all of their knives? You probably need a new edge applied with a grinder. I would look for someone in your area that has a motorized grinder.

Gary,I do it the way Uncle Sam taught me,using a wet stone. Unless it's really cheap chinese steel,I can get a good edge on my knives with it.

Phil, I saw Jacques Pepin give a demo on TV using a couple whetstones. Very impressive. Food for thought...
Chuck -- Yes they do. I usually send mine out once a year or so. I'm definitely due for a professional sharpening. However, I'd like to do a better job on my own, too. Thanks.

Gary,
I use a wet stone 2-3 times a year to create an edge and steel every time before using. This week did some chopping without steeling and could tell a difference right away.

As soon as the steeling doesn't keep the edge in top condition it's back to the wet stone for about a 5 - 10 minute session.

Gary , your steel's purpose is to deburr the edge. Eventually the edge itself will need work.
I have a single old cutco chefs knife that it's not worth the time to send back for sharpening.
Warning this is the method I use for my outdoor high use knife , I would not suggest for your high end kitchen or hunting knives.
I use an Smith's carbide sharpener
2-3 strokes, With it followed by 2-3 strokes on the steel works great!it does remove a lot of metal, but for my cutco, & inexpensive skinning knife , it works great.

Gary,

Those Cutco knives are actually pretty decent:

My parents have a set that they received for their wedding in the early 1960's. I dropped them off at the local Cutco reps office - there was just a small charge for shipping. The things came back like razors! they even re-ground the serrated knives without narrowing them down too much.

Otherwise, get yourself a basic Edge Pro Apex system or spyderco sharp-maker, and do it yourself - like anything precision that really works, they cost a few bucks. However, in the end, you will not be disappointed.

As mentioned above the steel only realigns the existing edge. Once that weakens you need to resharpen using a tool that removes metal at the proper grind angle. Typically 20 degrees but often closer to 30 degrees on a chef knife. Whetstones are great if you are comfortable with gauging the proper angle. Another option is to use the bottom of a crock pot or any other ceramic surface. You will see the crock discolor or turn gray as the metal is removed. Just wash when finished.

Gary,
Take your knifes to your local Butcher or to the Butcher dept. at your favorite grocery store. They should sharpen them for free. Especially if you start talking BBQ with them. I've gotten to know my local guy pretty good. I take him a "Taste" of my Q for him to enjoy. Win, Win for all.

They also recommended in the class to finish the sharpening process on a leather strop.

I was lucky enough to get 2 strops that my grandfather used on his straight razors in the 1930's.

I'm not much of a fan of cutco. Most of the blades they sell is serrated and even the none serrated stuff is ground so coarsely it might as well be serrated. I suspect that, over time, the rough edge gets difficult to maintain with your hones and you need a new edge put on. Send it back and get a new edge.

I got plenty of knives, and if you're looking to upgrade, IMO, you best bang for your buck are Global and Tojiro. Combined with an apex, you'll never work with a dull blade again.

Thanks to all for the sensible advice. You're right Jeff, Cutco's sharpening is pretty coarse, but it's time for a free resharpening nonetheless. I think I owe myself another good blade sometime in the near future. And maybe an apex sharpening system too...
icon_biggrin.gif

I think I owe myself another good blade sometime in the near future.

when you're ready, I highly recommend visiting Korin. Its located in downtown Manhattan. I've purchased many knives from them. They have a broad spectrum of Japanese knives and let you test drive them before you buy. You won't recognize most of the brands, so you can base your decision on the merits of the knife and not someone's opinion.

If you plan on getting the apex, and shop at Korin, ask about the edge. They do some 50/50 and some 80/20. 50/50 are easier to sharpen at home. I suspect the 80/20 won't be much harder, but I haven't tried yet (I do own a few).

I would recommend Shuns. I love all of mine.

Are they the best Japanese knife? No, there are better ones out there.

Are they great & reasonable priced for a Japanese knife? Yes in my opinion. Big uprade from Cutco.

You may be able to find a better deal online, but at least go to a store and try a few out to make sure they are comfortable and fit your hand well.

I am looking into the apex. I believe there is a topic on here that goes into detail about... that I am guessing Jeff was involved in.

Sorry for the late post on this... good advice so far. I'm not familiar with the knife you've got but obviously if it's not good quality then you have a tougher task. Assuming it's a good knife...i've always used a set of stones (course to fine). Check out this link: Halls Sharpening Stones

in addition to selling the stones, etc.. they have some good instructions too.

Hope this helps - trying to cook with a dull knife is no fun!

I was under the impression that Cutco had some sort of proprietary "micro-serrated" edge that couldn't be properly sharpened at home so that's why they offered the free sharpening service.

Maybe this is marketing/urban legend?

I have my Cutco rep coming over to my house on Monday to sharpen all our knifes, serrated & non serrated. I'll report back once i see it first hand.

Back