O L I V E S: Which do you use how?

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
Olives, they range from wonderful to awful....
AS, I lack experience with this food, I throw it out there to learn. What do you like?

I love these in my Bloody Mary's
icon_smile.gif

Got them at Costco.

W0W Bob, those sound GREAT! I'll hafta look around for those.
These are what I put in my Tanqueray martinis. Don't know if they're the best, but a 10oz jar costs like 8 bucks, soo they gotta be good.

Since I'm a big fan of all 3 o' youse guys, I'll chime in.

My olives have to be green, and salty. I don't really care for the pimento, but fer sure don't want the seed.
Don't have a fav brand or a picture, but I LOVE olives. I can empty a jar in a day all by myself!
icon_eek.gif

Jim & Bob -

For "mixology", those look PERFECT. I like the big, spicy, green ones in a Bloody Mary or Martini (and if it tastes like fruit, it AINT no martini! Right, Jim?) I usually like to pair them with some Tipsy Onions.

Other favorite uses:
I like pitted Calamata olives in some sauces and a few slices on pizza.

Nicoise olives in the salad by the same name - particularly at Lake Park Bistro in Milwaukee. They serve theirs with grilled tuna.
(If you're ever in the Milwaukee area for a weekend, and want to "score some points" with Wifey or S.O. - take her there for Sunday Brunch!)

Steve,

I also love the garlic stuffed olives. And just today I bought some jalapeno / garlic stuffed ones to try.
I also love mixed olives (green, black, kalamati, etc). The next time you are at your local Harris Teeter, try a sampling of different olives from their olive bar.
Ray

Originally posted by Todd H.:
Jim try the forest floor Martini olives , there soaked in vermouth and awesome. I believe there a Wisconsin company. I get them at woodman's grocery store.
Thanks Tim, i've had various products from ForestFloor butt never those you've listed. FF stopped producing my favourite tomolives... so now i buy these.

We've determined this group is down for "tini's"!
All good rec., I was thinking along the lines of other food uses. In the meantime, I'll have a tini.
Tomolives...bring back memories of introducing Ketel One Vodka to the E.TN market.

Ray, I have had my eye on the olive bar....

I use olives in one version of tapenade or another most frequently.

If you have a market with an olive bar in it (like WF or the like) seek cerignola olives - unripe, ripe or both. To die for.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
If you have a market with an olive bar in it (like WF or the like) seek cerignola olives - unripe, ripe or both. To die for.
Kevin, is this olive seasonal? Or will it be available year-round?

Originally posted by Bill Spearman:
Jim Lampe, I really like the Mezzeta jalapeno stuffed olives in my clear adult beverages.
Bill, you ain't alone.
got a jar ovum in my fridge
icon_biggrin.gif

Not martinee oriented but good with one.
40 olives finely chooped, 10 cloves garlic finely chopped, 1 pkg Philly cream cheese. Let rest over night. Good dip!

Back