Aluminum Foil Trick

Ron... L.

TVWBB Super Fan
Not possessing a matching set of chromosomes, I am genetically programmed to NOT be able to stop and ask for directions, lift a toilet seat, or read clearly printed directions for use on most packaging ("twist top" printed on the cap of a beer bottle being a notable exception).

I got an email today suggesting there is a tab on the package of Reynolds Aluminum Foil which will keep the roll from being yanked out of the box 50% of the time. Evidently, the same set-up exists on Saran Wrap.

I am probably the only person on this forum unaware of this "trick"... but I feel compelled to share today's epiphany with you all.

Here is the picture that came on the email...

Aluminum%20Foil.jpg

Note: This does NOT count as having asked for directions... it just kind of appeared.

Ron

No help for me Ron.
I read about this a year or so ago, and still haven't remembered to even look at the ends of the box
icon_rolleyes.gif

Wow...thanks for the tip. I am the same way! i'm Ok with foil, but could use all the help I an get with Saran Wrap....I'm a plastic-wrap-retard (sorry Ms. Palin)... Although most of my problems tend to come after I tear a piece off, every little bit could help.

Wow. Silly old me has just been gripping the roll extra tight when I need to tear some foil off. Who'd a thunk a foil packaging engineer designed that ,but didn't put arrows or directions or SOMETHING to let us regular folk know it's there. But,like Bob,I'll probably forget and keep on with my tight gripping technique.
icon_biggrin.gif

I never read distructions either. I guess that is why half the stuff I own doesn't work. Instructions, I don't need no stinking instructions. I usually drink plenty of beer when I am putting something together, that way it looks good when I am done, or does that just apply to ugly... no I won't go there.

Hahhahaha - wow. Thanks for this.

I'll be thinking of that pic every time I use my alum foil from now on, trust me - lol.

Too funny. I asked my wife if she knew of this... she said no... we both went to look, and sure enuff!

Thanks!

We had friends over for grill steaks and risotto. While putting up leftovers,I showed everyone the "foil trick". Everyone was amazed! When I told them I learned it on here,even more amazement!

Ron, I'll be 54 years old in a couple of weeks and I found out about this about 6 months ago from my wife. (who was told by a friend). I believe this imformation is confidential and you just spilled the beans so now everybody knows!
icon_rolleyes.gif

I may have heard about it when I was 53, also...but I don't remember. I've contracted that memory disorder "Sometimers". Some time I can't remember what happened 10 seconds ago!

I may have heard about the aluminum foil trick when I was 53....

Ron

I buy the 18" Reynolds Foodservice Foil from Sam's. The roll is 18" x 500' (750 sq. ft.). It comes in a very sturdy box and has plastic brackets on either end that support the roll in the box and make it very easy to use. Sells for around $30, but lasts a long time.

I also buy the Zip Safe Plastic Wrap from Sam's. It is packaged two individually boxed rolls of 500'. Each box comes with with a slide cutting bar that mounts on the box. You just pull out what you need, press the wrap down on the cutting bar, and slide the cutting mechanism. Works great. Much, much better than the grocery store stuff. Sells for about $10.

I'm quite sure I've seen these same to products at Costco for about the same price.

Ron, just how old is that roll of foil?
Reynolds now calls the Heavy Duty stuff Heavy Strength. Been that way for over a year now.

That roll of foil may be very old. This is evidently one of those things that comes and goes on the web and with each inbound tide somebody (like me) sees it for the first time.

Of course I spend enough time with hot barbecue grills so it is quite obvious (to me) that I couldn't possibly pass that picture off as being my hand... that one has hair on it
icon_mad.gif

Ron

I just went and looked. Apparently my wife has known of this for some time, but didn't inform me! I did notice though that the wax paper and parchment paper did not have these nifty tabs.

Dude, youre a genius! I've been using wraps and foils for, what, 30 years, and I've never noticed that. I feel like an idiot
icon_confused.gif

Thanks for sharing. That is literally the first thing I'm checking when i get home today

LOL LOL LOL

I'll admit, I didn't always know about this, but have for some time now.

It's the little things life!

LOL....I saw a chef on a Food TV network program push in the tabs on alum foil just recently. I was amazed how simple it is and why I had never noticed.
I buy the industrial foil from Sam's Club in the large rolls that cost maybe a shade over $20. This works super for me since I cook in lots of competitions and foil butts and ribs during the cook. Also use lots of foil covering steam pans in the Cambro.
Problem is that with all the transporting and handling the cardboard box the foil comes in, it sometimes gets damaged before the foil is used up.
Question....has anyone seen a more stable container that is used comercially and the foil could be carried in? It would be nice if some company made a heavy duty plastic box with a cutting blade that this standard foil would fit into and could be used in.

Back