cleaning a gas grill ?

Richard_

have a Ducane that I need to clean up to sell , can I use oven cleaner on the tub ? or is there something better suited for this ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard_:
have a Ducane that I need to clean up to sell , can I use oven cleaner on the tub ? or is there something better suited for this ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, I have been courious about this and have been waiting for replies also. Lets bump this up and see if anyone wants to reply.

i've been planning to use it on the inside of my genesis but would like to hear any answers also. i wouldn't use it on anything on the outside. maybe do a test spot ?

Do a test spot first as some oven cleaners are a lot more caustic than others and anly leav it on for a short time. Do not scrub/rub when removing the oven cleaner. Just hose it off. (you need to strip the BBQ down.
I give mine a good stiff brushing first then use the oven cleaner and then was down and let air dry. I end up with a white residue which wears off after a while. I only do the inside and wipe the outside gently and wash of straight away.
I only use on brand of cleaner that I know works. It is not available in the USA. it is called BAM 5 minute oven cleaner.
Make sure you do a test spot first.

Regards

A certain name brand oven cleaner makes one for gas grills. Not sure if it is worth the extra cash, compared to the generic brand at the dollar store,though it should tell you if it is safe to use on aluminum.
Tim

Why not try something like a degreaser first. Maybe something like Simple Green? No point in starting with the most aggressive approach. Maybe a power washer and just some soap?

I use PBW (Professional Brewers Wash) for all my brewing and grill cleaning. Cleans the organics off and doesn't affect the metals. You can find it at local brew shops or online store such as More Beer or Northern Brewer.

i took all the burners out of my silver C friday and sprayed it down with greased lightning inside and out and rinsed clean. it did a very good job. i did it a 2nd time on the inside and scrubbed with a bristle brush and it's clean as a whistle now. just waiting on my new SS flavor bars,SS grates and new burner tube set to get here so i can put it all back together!!

I used it on my Ducane. It worked well, be careful it worked a little too well...Took off the print where the knobs are located.

Back