Upstate New York Members...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Bosch

TVWBB Fan
In case you missed the flyer in your Sunday paper, Tops Supermarkets has pork butt on sale for $.99/lb. My wife picked up four for me today - two to smoke over this weekend and two for Thanksgiving weekend.

I have no affiliation to Tops, just passing along the info...

Peace. Out.

Alan Bosch

Alan,

Thanks for the info, I to am from Rochester, NY also. I cooked my first pulled pork this weekend, and wouldn't mind putting a couple in the freezer for future smoking. I read a lot about BBQ competitions on this board and would love to check one out. Have you ever seen any in our neck of the woods?

Thanks.

Matt

If you don't mind a short drive north over the border for the weekend, Ontario is developing a small cicuit of competitions. These are great fun because they're not too big. The sanctioning body is called the Canadian Barbecue Smokers Association and their website (with events listing) is www.canbbq.com

Matt,
I've heard rumors that Dinosaur Bar-B-Que sponsors some event in Syracuse. Whether it's a competition or just some kind of event featuring their BBQ is merely speculation. Let's face it - there ain't a whole lotta BBQ
here, even with Dinosaur and Beale St. Cafe.
I did see somewhere on this list, that Paul Kirk was going to be in Utica sometime in the not-too-distant future. Now that's something I'd really love to get to.

So, are you Eastside or Westside? I'm on the West, if you ever want to compare notes...

Peace. Out.

Alan

Alan,

I'm on the west side also (Gates). Your right about there not being a whole lot of BBQ up here. I may have to check out some of the competitions in Ontario, per the link Darren left below. Have you found any local sources for smoke wood, I was only able to find Hickory and Mesquite chunks at Walmart. I was trying to find some local merchants for other woods, like apple, pecan, oak etc. I'm trying to avoid paying the shipping rates to send a bag of wood through the mail, being cheap I guess. Thanks for the reply.

Matt

Matt,
Chili! Small world, isn't it?

Somke wood -- I first bought a bag of oak chunks and a bag of cherry chunks, from Peoples Woods, somewhere in Rhode Island. With shipping, it came to something like $14.00 a bag - and they're like 20lb. bags. I still have a few chunks of each.

What I found recently is that if you call up someone that sells firewood, you can usually talk them into selling you a few log-lenth pieces of hardwood pretty cheap. Ya might have to pick thru a mountain of wood, but you'll surely pick up a few pieces of oak, cherry, maple, or apple. For fruit wood, next time you go past Whittier Farms, stop in and ask if they have any apple wood or cherry wood you could have. Also, ask around the neighborhood. One of my neighbors cut down an old cherry tree this past spring. If I'd been on the ball I would have asked for some of the wood. As it was, it went to someplace that supplies firewood, making my first point... If I find anything local, or if I run across something from the neighbors, I'll let ya know.

BTW, I have a son named Matthew. Little hellion, he is... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Alan Bosch

Alan,

Hi there, I was just curious if you happen to know of a local source for buying Morton's Tender Quick. I was about to order some online for $6.00ish, but if ended up come to $22.00 with delivery. I'll have to stop by Whittier Farms sometime this week and see if I can't score some Cherry wood. See ya.

Matt

Matt,
Check out alliedkenco.com They have Tender qiuck for US$5.50/2lb bag plus $6.75
shipping up to $50.00 which means you can get several bags for the same shipping I think. It is an interesting webbie anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back