BBQ with Bobby Flay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff S.

TVWBB Fan
Tonights episode showed some beans called "Jack Stacks Barbecue Beans"
The recipe I seen on the show called for beans such as bush's baked beans, some sauce, and some chopped brisket and a few other seasonings, then smoked for several hours. (5 hours I think with chopped brisket mixed in and pork butts above dripping all over them)
I went to the food network to get the recipe, and seen where the recipe has been scaled way back, and it also calls for liquid smoke (YUCK!)
I sent ol Bobby an email telling him I have a smoker, and asked if the liquid smoke is really necassary.
The beans I seen on the show looked awesome (course Flay didnt make them) and Id like to try them as I have lots of leftover brisket carved and shredded in my freezer.

Bobby Flay is not that bad at all once you´ve watched "licence to grill".

"Ltg" is some kind of Barbecue-comedy to me, this guy always makes me laugh when he doesnt want to... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Don Marco

I made some beans the other day that were outstanding to say the least and I give all the credit to the 3/4 lb of pulled pork that was mixed in.
DP

Fiorella's Jack Stack Barbecue is, in my opinoin, some of the best overall Q in Kansas City. And, their beans are out of this world. I've often told my wife that someday I am going to work in Jackstack's kitchen for a few weeks just for a few weeks so I can learn the recipe for their beans.

I heard through the grapevine that Bobby Flay featured their beans and put the recipe on the web. I couldn't believe Jackstack would release their recipe, but I tried it. It sucked!

As T-Hoss said, Jack Stack is one of the better BBQ places in KC. You can get their food online at
http://www.jackstackbbq.com

Another KC BBQ restaurant you can order online is Zarda BBQ. Their beans are good, but I'm not a big fan of their sauces.
http://www.zarda.com

I think at both places if you sign up for their email lists you get coupons emailed to you every so often.

konevik

The other day I saw Emeril making some good looking baked beans. This was the very first time I saw someone start with dry navy beans (as opposed to some doctored canned beans).

If you're interested, here's the link:
Ms. Hilda's Baked Beans

Of course you can substitute the 2 hours in the oven with 2 hours in the WSM.

I watched Emeril cook the beans too. Looked good to me also. I sometimes use navy, mixed with kidney, and black beans to boot. Whatever I feel like throwing in. But the one thing I got to have in the pot is pulled pork.
DP

I consider myself VERY fortunate to work right across the street from Jackstack in Overland Park (the Kansas side in KC). Definitely the best consistent overall BBQ in KC.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John L:
I consider myself VERY fortunate to work right across the street from Jackstack in Overland Park (the Kansas side in KC). Definitely the best consistent overall BBQ in KC. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wish there was one near me. I logged onto the website & quickly got sticker shock. It also looks like they won't let you just order the beans. You have to order one of their BBQ packages before ordering a side dish.

Id just be happy with that bean recipe.
And by the way, ol bobby flay hasnt responded to my question about the liquid smoke yet either. (doubt he will)
Guess I can just play around with it and see what I like.

Jack Stack is THE place for beans in KC if not the entire country (sorry bostonites)... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Next time you make beans put them in a disposable pan or one you don't mind getting smoke on (or should I say your wife doesn't mind getting smoke on /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Place them on the bottom rack and let your butt/brisket/ribs on the top drip on them! Just a little trick I picked up on the BBQ forum. I would give credit but I don't remember who posted it.

Bobby Flay doesn't know his WSM from a hole in the ground. Recently he was cooking with his honey on his penthouse rooftop. He was preparing a couple of pork butts. The first one was going on his WSM. He lit a whole chimney of charcoal and dumped it into the bottom. He then put the charcoal ring on top of the hot coals. Then he put the water pan on top of the ring. Two hours later he had some fine pullable pork. Amazing. I usually have to cook mine 12 to 14 hours. THEN, he cranked up the big gas grill. When it was roaring he put a drip pan in the middle. Next, he dropped the pork butt on the hot grill. He said that was to put grill marks on it. It sure had the marks. And his honey was impressed. I wasn't.
Now I always watch Bobby. I like his technique.

Don Marco is right...Bobby Flay looks like a pit master after you watch License to Grill. The guy on that show does all of his smoking on a gas grill. Does ribs for about 2 hours - tops. Grilled a chicken, took its temp "between the breast and thigh" and said it was done at 200 degrees! I had to turn that show off it was so bad.

I make Steven Raichlen's beans. Can't remember off the top of my head, but you start with cooking six strips of bacon, then sautee an onion in that bacon grease, then add 3 cans of navy beans, then add molassses, brown sugar, bbq sauce, worcesteshire sauce, dry mustard, maybe some other spices, and jalapeno peppers. MAN are those GOOD beans! Maybe there's a can of tomato paste too? My mom is crazy about them. Always begs me to make 'em.

Then you just ain't had good beans yet! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Oh, and Bobby Flay dont' know Q from Shinola!

Dont really care too much for Bobby Flay either.
But them Jack Stacks BBQ beans looked awesome.
I gotta try to make some like that.
I was disapointed on the recipe they posted on the food network.

A friend gave me his book "Boy Gets Grill"

I like the book; a little different than your missionary BBQ stuff we are familiar with.

He does make a point of the briquetes truely being BBQ not grilling. He explores some flavored butters that are good, types of steak and why you should select tehm, some beverages, larger gatherings, etc.

Not bad for a city dude.

Getting rich ain't about how well ya cook it is the book man, sell the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back