Cutting a roast into "steaks" - is this "real" steak ? or cheating ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi all,

For a few months now, I've been cutting up pretty good quality roasts and using them as steaks.

I don't know if there are actual cuts of meat in steak form that are these "steaks" are made from.

The cut I bought as marked on the package is :
" Sirloin Tip Roast Larded"

I take the roast, put it in the freezer for about 2 hours to get it firmed up a bit, then cut nice good 1" slices from it. The meat is darn good, and I call them steaks, but is this considered real "steak " ?

I save quite a bit of money doing it this way, but don't know if the meat is lacking in quality because it was actually a roast - I guess meant for the oven and to be sliced after it was cooked.

Any ideas, thoughts appreciated.
I also wonder if a roast like this, - if anyone has ever put one in a smoker like the WSM, - I wonder what it would be like.

Mark.

Morning Jim,

Thanks for the reply. I got another response saying that the sirloin tip that is sold as a roast is not even close to the real sirloin tip that is sold as steaks... meat is much more expensive, I also noted this when I bought the roast.... the roast was more than 1/2 the price of a sirloin tip steak that was cut and sold as one steak..... any ideas ?

I also wish to know if you yourself have posted your Minion Method anywhere on the board here, so I could print it out. Seems like you are the Minion God, so thought I would go right to the source /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

thanks in advance,

Mark.

Mark

Here is a link to starting up your WSM. The Minion Method is one of them. Minion Method

You are not cheating at all by doing your own cutting of meat. This is a great way to save money. The price is better when you can do some cutting yourself. Plus you get the size you want. I like thicker steaks than most places cut them. I buy rib roasts and cut them into 1 1/2" steaks.

The same works cutting up whole chickens.

Mark
Thank you for the kind words, I've known for quite sometime but thought it presumptuous to come out and say so myself.

Chris has it right.

Your humble servant,
Jim

Mark....

I say you got bad advice on your sirloin roast. EVERY steak is cut from either a primal or sub-primal cut of meat. You ever seen a cow with pre-cut steaks??? Of course not, they are cut from the larger roasts.

So, have at it! As others have said...a great way to save money!

My $0.02: It's your meat and you can do whatever you want with it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I regularly grab something at a local grocer called Chuck Eye Boneless. Looks like a ribeye steak. I put it in my vacuum marinating dish with some mojo criollo. The only difference I can tell is there's one small sinewy spot, but for half the price of ribeye...

You absolutely save money!!

My wife and I buy our own Ribeye and NY Strip Loin and Tenderloin roasts at Costco. Which aren't cheap roasts per se. Buth much cheaper than buying the same amount of rib-eye or NY or filet mignon already cut into steaks.

We slice the whole roasts into steaks, then vaccum seal them and put them in the freezer. You get to do the cutting, so you get the thickness you want. And the vaccuum sealer is awesome. The sealed, frozen steaks only take 15-20 minutes to thaw when submerved (still sealed) in room temperature water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back