Jerky on the WSM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

First off, great site!! How does the WSM do on Jerky? Do you use the water pan or skip it. I am a little concerned with maintaining a consistent low temp in the smoker (aprox. 165 degrees). How hard is this to do? I have a small offset smoker but would like something a little easier to regulate. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Shawn

Click search at the top of this page and enter "jerky". You'll get plenty of info. Make sure to check out Stogie's page on jerky, as well as Randy's. I think they're mentioned in these posts.

Regards,
Chris

I did a search before I posted but it didn't answer my questions.

Shawn

Hi Shawn!

Here is a link to my jerky page....

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ktaylor11/kevi.htm

The secret to drying jerky and other things on the WSM is using the Minion method and very few briqs to start the process. I strive to keep my temps between 150-180? and am able to keep pegged at around 165? for several hours.

Place a single layer of unlit briqs on the charcoal grate. Then light between 5-10 briqs and sprinkle them over the unlit ones. I usually have my bottom vents nearly closed, but my unit is a little leaky.

I use sand in the water pan as I do not want any moisture in the unit. You still need that heat baffle, but you don't want water.

The trick to stabilizing the temp is controlling it from the bottom up...once it has gone beyond your target, it is very hard to bring it back down.

Hope this helps! If I can help further, ask away!

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for all the information. Just what I needed to know. Your website is very impressive. Wow!! I added it to my favorites.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back