Oratta (Gillthead seabrem) 5 pounder on a Kettle

Peter H.

TVWBB Member
Hy all....first I hope anyone is familiar with this fish. It is a 1 class white fish. Well...was.
icon_smile.gif

My friend caught when he was spearfishing last weekend. Just the size of this fish is a record one for its species. Anyway although it was snowing today allready he wanted to make a dinner for the family. He is new to Kettle grills so he asked me to help. I agreed of course. It is a real pleasure to cook a fish that big.
We fired up two chimneys of real lump charcoal, salted the fish, oiled the grill and let the fish sit comfortably over the hot fire for some 25 min turning it after ten minutes and finished off indirect for a couple of minutes at the end. I wrapped the fish for 10 min and then we sat down at the table. Four generations of his family and lucky me. It was somehow magical.

Oh....the recipe....sorry. Very simple. Pat the fish dry with paper towel and just salt with good amount of sea salt and before wrapping it pour over half a cup of virgin olive oil. If you like you can add more spices but this kind of wild fish really does not need anything but a little salt and olive oil.

Buon apetitte....
icon_smile.gif

Peter H.

Back